Hi everyone, my name is Angie

Help Support GroupDIY:

scott2000

And the donate button is at the bottom of the page as it was before. At a later time it may be moved to the top of the forum for ease of finding it.

I notice the name for the organization being donated to has changed from groupdiy to group builder...

Someone earlier had mentioned the site now looks like another uk woodworking site and it does actually. I was confused about their question regarding ownership. I figured maybe we just hired someone to help with changes and stuff.....

Anyhow, it would be interesting to hear the story about the new digs. I see this mention of group builder but don't know if it's related. Is it?

Group Builder is an online media company focused exclusively since 2001 on online discussion forum communities.​

We have been active in the development and acquisition of online discussion forums for 20 years.
Today, we operate over 50 communities in homebrewing/winemaking, aviation, pets, homesteading, firearms, hobby and home repair, including:

Tubetec

I agree with Abbey , a thumbs down allows someone to glance over whats said and simply express a dislike, nothing learned, nothing gained, no insight offered.
It could end up a lead for others to follow suit and heap criticism instead of offering the possible benefit of their opinion and maybe helping someone to learn . Remember the old saying no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers .

The best teachers here are very generous with their knowledge no need for a brownie points system.

As far as listing in real time the posts other users are reading or have already read , I cant think of a single good reason to be doing that , if anyone else does they might try an enlighten us .

Tubetec

Must have posted twice somehow , now the other post vanished as well ,

Last edited:

cyrano

There's a regression in the emails somewhere.

I get notifications since Xenforo was enabled on my current email. Let's call that email A.

When I visited today, I didn't have permission to post, or even like. I had to confirm my email. Somehow, the address shown was a very, very old email from a domain I no longer control. Let's call this email B.

When correcting all of this, which works, I entered my current email A. I was informed this was in use. Of course, it was in use, as it's the address I get notifications on.

So I tried another email address C, made a typo, corrected that half an hour later and received confirmation.

The system works, but address B shouldn't be in the database anymore. And it shoudn't all-of-a-sudden show up and cause a need for reconfirmation.

This could be a hard to find one, me thinks... :D

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Engagement is the currency of internet forums (we are the product).

This pinging of every email in the database explains the recent uptick in new old guys.

Enjoy... this wave will pass, but forum software designers work to generate even more engagement.

JR

Angie

Administrator
Admin
Hi everyone. Here's my answers to the main questions that have popped up since yesterday.

The TOS was the default Xenforo one, I have restored the old one.

GB aka me has partnered with Ethan to manage the technical/finance/ad side due to his growing lack of time and availability. GB owns some sites like UKW but also manages/hosts them too.

There are no further changes, right now I'm just changing things to fit the old software the best I can.

And the delete your own posts is back.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
There's a regression in the emails somewhere.

I get notifications since Xenforo was enabled on my current email. Let's call that email A.

When I visited today, I didn't have permission to post, or even like. I had to confirm my email. Somehow, the address shown was a very, very old email from a domain I no longer control. Let's call this email B.

When correcting all of this, which works, I entered my current email A. I was informed this was in use. Of course, it was in use, as it's the address I get notifications on.

So I tried another email address C, made a typo, corrected that half an hour later and received confirmation.

The system works, but address B shouldn't be in the database anymore. And it shoudn't all-of-a-sudden show up and cause a need for reconfirmation.

This could be a hard to find one, me thinks... :D

Please send me a message with all the member names on all those emails. I can fix it so you are all one person with your email of preference.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
Actually in the previous version it was possible to delete your messages and sometimes it could be useful.

Cheers
JM

I've added that back. I was not sure it had been used here in the prior s/w. Thanks for letting me know.

ruffrecords

Hi everyone. Here's my answers to the main questions that have popped up since yesterday.

The TOS was the default Xenforo one, I have restored the old one.
I don't think that worked - all I see is something about the digital millennium act.
GB aka me has partnered with Ethan to manage the technical/finance/ad side due to his growing lack of time and availability. GB owns some sites like UKW but also manages/hosts them too.

There are no further changes, right now I'm just changing things to fit the old software the best I can.

And the delete your own posts is back.
So which is it for GDIY.? owns or just manages? Partnered is such a conveniently vague term. Please be specific.

Cheers

Ian

Angie

Administrator
Admin
I don't think that worked - all I see is something about the digital millennium act.
I have gone through archive.org and the old files and do not see a true TOS so I copied what was listed before in the previous SITE RULES linked in the footer. Are you aware of a different one?

So which is it for GDIY.? owns or just manages? Partnered is such a conveniently vague term. Please be specific.

Cheers

Ian
That is getting into community issues .. I'm just here for technical and ad issues. I know that Group Builder does not own GDIY but beyond that it's not my place to discuss.

ruffrecords

I have gone through archive.org and the old files and do not see a true TOS so I copied what was listed before in the previous SITE RULES linked in the footer. Are you aware of a different one?
The original had a load of stuff about how folk should behave etc.
That is getting into community issues .. I'm just here for technical and ad issues. I know that Group Builder does not own GDIY but beyond that it's not my place to discuss.
OK, understood. Ethan, care to answer?

Cheers

Ian

Angie

Administrator
Admin
@rufflecords, it may take Ethan some time to answer. I tried calling him today to get his input right off., but he did not answer. Last I heard he was traveling for a few days.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
Is this what you are remembering?

ruffrecords

Is this what you are remembering?

Something like that and more besides.

Cheers

Ian

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Lets be patient, Ethan can be busy and out of touch at times.
===
I'm sure we can keep Angie busy with forum feature clean up tweaks.

The forum is looking and working better than ever..

Thank you Angie and Ethan.

JR

Latest posts