Hi everyone, my name is Angie

Help Support GroupDIY:

shot

I would hate to have option of deleting posts! That could kill this forum!
This community is about sharing ideas, knowledge and projects. When someone deletes his/her posts in a thread, that thread may become useless. Just check what happened to some threads on GS. And GDIY is waaay more scientific than GS.
I sincerely think that having option to delete own posts could destroy the whole community here.
And for what reason would one want to delete posts? Maybe after a keyboard fight in a Brewery??
If a user thinks his/her post is no longer valid there's always option to edit it. But killing all posts - no no no!

:)

Luka

jacomart

I would hate to have option of deleting posts! That could kill this forum!
This community is about sharing ideas, knowledge and projects. When someone deletes his/her posts in a thread, that thread may become useless. Just check what happened to some threads on GS. And GDIY is waaay more scientific than GS.
I sincerely think that having option to delete own posts could destroy the whole community here.
And for what reason would one want to delete posts? Maybe after a keyboard fight in a Brewery??
If a user thinks his/her post is no longer valid there's always option to edit it. But killing all posts - no no no!

Luka
but that was how it worked before and in any case you could always delete all the content and leave the post empty ... if someone wants to remove the content, he removes it anyway. It makes no sense not to be able to delete a post if for example you enter it twice by mistake as it happened to me yesterday

Cheers
JM

Last edited:

shot

but that was how it worked before

Cheers
JM

Yeah but since this place is opening up for many new users and times are changing that option could prove itself to be more dangerous than we ever imagined. Maybe it's time to change it.
As a comparison, just try to remember what happened when most used picture host site changed it's policy and when a lot of posts here got their inserted pics deleted. We lost a vast amount of knowledge in a day!

emrr

We have always had the option to delete posts. At very least, if you post in error. And....if you edit a post you can delete all it's content. Which is necessary in many instances.

jacomart

Yeah but since this place is opening up for many new users and times are changing that option could prove itself to be more dangerous than we ever imagined. Maybe it's time to change it.
As a comparison, just try to remember what happened when most used picture host site changed it's policy and when a lot of posts here got their inserted pics deleted. We lost a vast amount of knowledge in a day!
yes, but they are two completely different situations, it was not GDIY users who removed the photos but the site you are talking about

Cheers
JM

shot

yes, but they are two completely different situations, it was not GDIY users who removed the photos but the site you are talking about

Cheers
JM

Well technically yes, it was different.
But I'm refering to the impact it has on whole threads. No matter what was the technicall reason.
Weather you delete it by yourself or some host service externally closes. It's a disaster.

Luka

ruffrecords

Well technically yes, it was different.
But I'm refering to the impact it has on whole threads. No matter what was the technicall reason.
Weather you delete it by yourself or some host service externally closes. It's a disaster.

Luka
New York Dave used to post here a lot but there came a time when he got fed up with people ripping off his designs so he deleted a lot of his posts and schematics to protect himself. I think it is important to retain that ability.

Cheers

Isn

abbey road d enfer

Deleting posts for figuring out after the fact that it's offensive or plainly stupid is useless, since someone is bound to have quoted the offending/stupid part.
Mods can delete whole threads, but I don't think anyone has ever exercized their rights.
As to the specific case of New York Dave, I think it had the only effect of disappointing those who were following him, but did nothing to prevent counterfeiters/IP thieves.
Editing is good enough IMO.

jacomart

I still believe that if someone, for whatever reason, wants to delete something he wrote, it falls within his rights. Be it the post itself or its content.

Peace & love!
JM

Winston OBoogie

To put it politely, quite a few of my posts have been in the style of 'stream of consciousness'.

Editing afterwards is something I often do after the smoke has cleared and I realize most of what I'd said
was irrelevant.

If I need to delete a post completely because nothing I wrote was worth saving or viewing, an edit containing just an ellipsis
would work for me if straight up"delete" weren't available.

emrr

There was awhile were one couldn't delete posts in the Black Market. That was implemented to avoid scammers covering their tracks. That didn't last long.

Being unable to edit in the Black Market would bring the greatest number of complaints, given the number of posts that are running listings with items added and removed.

Tubetec

I could imagine under SHTF 'flame war' conditions in here knowing that the intended recipient of a barbed comment had just received the message to be like pouring fuel on the fire , it could end up making an ugly situation worse.

Theres always been the abillity to edit a post , for what ever reason, sometimes the sooner the better , sometimes just spelling errors, in the greater scheme of things it makes little difference , but I think a danger arises with the user being able to remove an entire thread where other contributors were involved .

It was possible on the old engine to rename a thread although I never found the function I saw it used ,
maybe its easier just rephrase the question Jaco and relaunch the thread

A little information can be a dangerous thing , careful with that axe Angie .

Most of this post was meant for last night , but just jumping back up to speed now again .

bigbeaty

The missing files are back! Images, etc.

And the 864 search works now also!
View attachment 80674

And the donate button is at the bottom of the page as it was before. At a later time it may be moved to the top of the forum for ease of finding it.
Super! Thank you 😊

expat

I agree with Abbey , a thumbs down allows someone to glance over whats said and simply express a dislike, nothing learned, nothing gained, no insight offered.
It could end up a lead for others to follow suit and heap criticism instead of offering the possible benefit of their opinion and maybe helping someone to learn . Remember the old saying no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers .

The best teachers here are very generous with their knowledge no need for a brownie points system.

As far as listing in real time the posts other users are reading or have already read , I cant think of a single good reason to be doing that , if anyone else does they might try an enlighten us .
I agree, too. I suggested the same thing on Stack Exchange for the same reason - a thumbs-down should require an explanation as much as a correct answer does - you learn nothing from it, otherwise. it's also an excellent filter against 'haters without a cause'. :cool:

Latest posts