Hi everyone, my name is Angie

Help Support GroupDIY:

Ethan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I literally LOL'd about this: Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 4.10.04 AM.png
Yes. Angie is a real person...but please stop doing such a great job so fast bc you're making me look bad 😂🤣

Last edited:

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
I agree that was really a very quick and painless move. I've been through a few web productions and I know what can go wrong.
I am thrilled with the result, top job!

cyrano

Xenforo has a lot of options to customise. After that, it needs customised code. Customisation beyond the options would land us in the situation this forum was before. Utter unmanageability.

Asking to remove stuff you don't like seems a bit... I dunno... Over the top?

I mean, I applaud a "Like" button. Sometimes, in a lengthy discussion, especially if it's about "taste", I need to express the one post I deem right. Or the one that expresses my taste the best. Or...

In that case, the "Like" button is just what we need. Quoting and adding "Yes", or something like it, just lengthens the thread and serves no purpose at all.

Posting to social media, OTOH, is not for me. But it might just be something that someone might need one day. Why ask to remove it? Is it that annoying to have one button too many? Sorry, I can't grok that.

bigbeaty

Hi Angie,

Welcome, and thanks for all your awesome work... I think the new look is fantastic!

Can I ask a massive favour? I'm working through this mic build just now and was relying on the image pictorial that poctop had uploaded on the first post of this thread. Alas, the images have disappeared and been replaced with boring blue question marks! I tried it on my iPhone and desktop mac, same on both.

Here's the thread... Neumann M49 Clone : Build Thread Puck Style (TLM49 Conversion To M49 b-c)

Big ta!

Banzai

White Market Member
View attachment 80550

Everyone should see those two in the bottom left corner of their post. Click on the Edit and you will see the post where you can edit it. Be sure to save when done.

(Please let me know if this does not show on any forum. I will be double checking in the meantime. )
Working perfectly, thank you!

Script

Trophies are gone now. Checking on reactions. But give them a try for a day.
Hello Angie,

first of all, thanks for taking care of things around here.

Member section -- suggested change, cos some of it seems little useful. As is now, only 'Staff members' and/or 'Moderators' are useful, especially for new members.

I have no idea how 'reaction scores' are calculated and what they express. How many people reacted to a post? How often it got quoted?. But as is now, it's really little useful. And the reason is quite simply the Brewery.

Some members post a lot in the Brewery, get reactions and get quoted. Other members who contribute only electronics -related posts don't use the Brewery at all. So my suggestion is to take the Brewery posts out of the ranking and score equations entirely. That way, any member, especially new ones, could easily see what other members are active and knowledgeable in electronics (without all the Brewery stuff) -- as that's what this forum is about

Or taking it a step further, abolish the overall 'Notable person' ranking altogether. If any ranking or scores at all, better make it a ranking of posts per forum category. Then a member could easily see who's most active for example in 'Truth Table', 'The Lab', Dynamic processors', Filters' and the like. This definitely would have helped me a long time ago when I joined the forum.

Anyway, so instead of having a ranking that centres on people (including their most often not electronics-related brewery posts) have a strictly subject-centred ranking to see who is acti ve and hopefully knows a lot within a specific area of electronics. How does that sound ?

As for 'Most media', 'Most albums' and ''Today's birthdays' -- could ditch them altogether. Something like ''Browse media' and 'Browse albums' could be useful -- but this might be somewhere already and I just haven't found it yet ; )

Bo Deadly

I have no idea how 'reaction scores' are calculated and what they express. How many people reacted to a post? How often it got quoted?. But as is now, it's really little useful. And the reason is quite simply the Brewery.

Some members post a lot in the Brewery, get reactions and get quoted.

I agree. Just like the trophies, I think this "reaction scope" thing is highly superficial and encourages bad behavior. This is a site about learning small signal audio electronics and planning and building complex electronics projects. Mostly. If this "reaction score" is computed based on who gets the most reactions, then that does not at all correlate with the people who are actually the most helpful or knowledgeable or even posting interesting content. For one, it's just going to pick up on the people raging in the Brewery. That's exactly the problem that Facebook and Twitter and other social media sites had / have with suggesting content for people that resulted in spreading all sorts of conspiracy nonsense. I hope the people who run this site do not think of it as a social media site. Do they really want to elevate the people drunk posting in the Brewery as authorities for anything around here? It doesn't make any sense to grade someones performance based on some crude algorithm that looks at how many times someone clicked on something or how frequently they visit the site or based on how many people reply to a your posts. And incidentally it doesn't make sense for any forum. That's exactly the sort of think that makes the Internet feel so cheap.

Script

I agree. Just like the trophies, I think this "reaction scope" thing is highly superficial
Cool. I just got another 'reaction score' -- and so did Squarewave ; )

No, seriously. If the brewery was out of the algorithm, 'reaction scores' would make at least some sense. -- I think the Brewery here has it's function, with people well-behaved 99.9% of the time.

BTW, I'm okay with google et al monetizing on 'Reaction scores' and 'Likes'. So how about 'reaction scores' and 'Likes' only for the Brewery ? That way maybe big data can learn a thing or two, haha :geek:

Bo Deadly

You assume that they have fine grained control over such things. I suspect that they do not.

The whole reaction score concept annoys me. Can you imagine a real-life corollary where you go to an AES convention and everyone's badge has a score on it? It's just asinine.

I don't have a problem with "Likes" because that is an individual explicitly granting their approval to one post by another individual. It's like clapping when someone gives a performance. It's a sign of respect. But assigning a single number to someone is asinine. Especially if it's computed using borderline meaningless numbers.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
Hi Angie,

Welcome, and thanks for all your awesome work... I think the new look is fantastic!

Can I ask a massive favour? I'm working through this mic build just now and was relying on the image pictorial that poctop had uploaded on the first post of this thread. Alas, the images have disappeared and been replaced with boring blue question marks! I tried it on my iPhone and desktop mac, same on both.

Here's the thread... Neumann M49 Clone : Build Thread Puck Style (TLM49 Conversion To M49 b-c)

Big ta!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have sent that to the head tech as he is the one the did the s/w transfer. So I expect it to be fixed shortly.

Script

I think 'likes' are overall useless, cos a single number appearing everywhere below a member's name does not distinguish / tell anyone what was liked (it could even be misleading). A smart solution to an electronics problem ? The posting of an unobtainium schematic ? A picture of someone's cat falling into a brook while trying to catch a firefly ? A recipe for spaghetti carbonara ? Different types of beer ? ; )

Angie

Administrator
Admin
I love the thought of the unobtainium. It withstands the heat of the Core.

Script

Suggestion open for discussion:

Separate 'Like' counts between all electronics-related forums (the core) and the Brewery (the social side). So when user is in electronics-related threads, they only see 'like' scores generated in these forums. When user is in the Brewery, they only see 'Likes' generated in the Brewery or total of 'Lkes.. And voilá -- we have information with added value.

@Angie
Would the above be possible to implement ?

assigning a single number to someone is asinine

Yes, I fully agree. Reaction score points placed under member name everywhere, even when they are based only on 'likes', but 'Likes' in all forum categories are probably also'asinine', but most definitely meaningless in themselves. It indeed is like an AES convention where everyone's badge shows how many coffees they had and visitors are asked to judge the products on display based on that.

The topic of 'Likes' has been discussed in full length a few years ago, resulting in 'Lkes' to be ditched, and for this very reason, among others. I am not fully against 'Likes' -- especially when they keep the 'core cool,' which I take to mean that they somehow pay for this place ?? -- Either way, new times, new needs. Would be interesting to hear more opinions on this.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
What I can do is turn off Likes for Brewery and only let them accumulate for the rest of the forum. Would that work? The likes have nothing to do with any help in paying for keeping the place going.

Members, I need to know what you currently think about this. (I didn't do a poll since we have the conversation about the fine tuning of the forum to this thread.)

I can
1. Keep as is. Likes are on all forums
2. Keep on all but Brewer
3. Ditch them totally.

shabtek

What I can do is turn off Likes for Brewery and only let them accumulate for the rest of the forum. Would that work? The likes have nothing to do with any help in paying for keeping the place going.

Members, I need to know what you currently think about this. (I didn't do a poll since we have the conversation about the fine tuning of the forum to this thread.)

I can
1. Keep as is. Likes are on all forums
2. Keep on all but Brewer
3. Ditch them totally.
NOT #1
If one invests enough time here they come to a sense of members that bring something to the table; that's the best way to know the community, shorthand stats are not necessary. the brewery is not to be taken seriously! its been proposed recently to do away with it.
thanks Angie for your efforts. I am glad the changes that most disturbed me are being resolved.

Script

Yes, more opinions needed.

Or 4.
Keep likes only in brewery? And deactivate everywhere else? -- Not possible?

Or 5.
Allow likes everywhere but simply turn off the 'Reaction score' listing under member name everywhere ? As this "score number" is at the heart of the issue. -- Not possible ?

Potato Cakes

Hi, Angie. I'm very happy that yourself and others are keeping this forum update and running. The information and advice shared here is invaluable to myself and many others who wish to be more self reliant dealing with audio electronics.

I know that there are still bugs being addressed as this site, but one issue that I am experiencing is some of the pages in the various Technical Documents thread load painfully slow when trying to scroll down through the posts. Notably this one:

I had turned off the ads (thanks for that, by the way!) but the performance did not improve. I have not had this issue before.

As for the likes, my vote would be 3. Ditch them totally. Aside from the Brewery, all of the discussions here are focused on the objective aspects of audio circuits, conducted in a polite and professional manner. With this mindset, I would assert that it is imperative to separate what takes place here from the mindless dribble that occurs everywhere else on social media and other forums. This would include "like" counting functions and similar metrics that are used to alter one's self-esteem and perceived importance amongst other forum participants. When anyone here offers helpful information, those benefiting from this assistance always reply with actual, genuine sediments of gratitude. I think this characteristic of GroupDIY forum members negates the need for an array of meaningless metrics that, for me, would serve only as unnecessary noise and be wasted lines of code. This is the coolest, most awesome place anywhere on the Internet and it has changed my life in terms of being able to build audio circuits to suit my specific needs and not have to compromise by relying solely on off-the-shelf products. This knowledge has also afforded me the ability to outfit my studio with top tier processing circuits and to fix/modify an old console which has elevated the quality of mixes I am able to produce several significant levels. So to keep the essence of this place centered on increasing personal wisdom and knowledge of audio circuits, I believe it is necessary to omit features that serve only as garnish and confetti in the world of online discussion platforms.

Thanks again to you and the others who have taken on the task of keeping GroupDIY up and running.

Thanks!

Paul

Latest posts