Hi everyone, my name is Angie

Help Support GroupDIY:

Angie

Administrator
Admin
@Potato Cakes Wow on that thread. I'll be reporting that to the head tech of the upgrade/software move. That is extremely unusual.

And I'm going to be reading through the posts about likes again after there are some more comments on them. I'll use the tried and trued 4 lines and 5 being diagonal to count the votes. Or I may have to harvest the options and make a formal poll. :unsure:

Angie

Administrator
Admin
Yes, more opinions needed.

Or 4.
Keep likes only in brewery? And deactivate everywhere else? -- Not possible?

Or 5.
Allow likes everywhere but simply turn off the 'Reaction score' listing under member name everywhere ? As this "score number" is at the heart of the issue. -- Not possible ?

Either could be possible. I may have to get your options, my options and see what a poll would show.

Script

Before starting a poll, a question:
Is it technically possible to implement an 'opt in / opt out' function for the brewery ?

Meaning, members can choose to completely 'ignore' posts in the brewery and so they don't have to see the 'dribble' and 'clutter' when checking on recent posts ?

abbey road d enfer

IMO, likes belong to a specific post from an individual. It didn't exist before and our workaround was the "+1", which, I agree, clutters the thread, but served its purpose.
For me, it's the only purpose of such a thing.
Using likes to assess an individual's pertinence/credibility is preposterous. It just shows popularity, which we all know is an overvalued merit.

john12ax7

I prefer the +1 to the like button. It tends to denote concurrence on a technical matter which can be useful for readers. The like button and too many other social media type things detract from technical content. I prefer the simplest interface with only the bare number of features required to access the content. Any more just distracts from learning imo. Others may feel differently.

volker

What I can do is turn off Likes for Brewery and only let them accumulate for the rest of the forum. Would that work? The likes have nothing to do with any help in paying for keeping the place going.

Members, I need to know what you currently think about this. (I didn't do a poll since we have the conversation about the fine tuning of the forum to this thread.)

I can
1. Keep as is. Likes are on all forums
2. Keep on all but Brewer
3. Ditch them totally.

I would propse a fourth option: keep the likes and other reactions, just remove the counter in the profile. That way it is still possible to agree, disagree, appreciate or thank a post without having to clutter up threads with a one-liner. The score isn't necessary, but the function itself does serve a useful purpose in my opinion.

Script

+1

Poll should include question whether to ditch the score. So:

Keep score: yes / no
If 'yes' -- then keep like: yes / no
If 'no' -- then keep like: yes / no

abbey road d enfer

I think score is childish.
Like is supposed to demonstrate the interest of a post, but also inflates the ego of the poster.
+1 does the same, plus it also inflates the ego of the one that posts it.
Choose your camp.

Script

I think score is childish.
Yes. Childish and misleading.

Personally, I don't care much about a 'like' button. If there is one, then only for a specific post -- my opinion. And yes +1 does the same.

The question is whether 'likes' need to go together with 'scores'. Some might like 'likes' but don't want stats about it.

While those who want both...

JohnRoberts

Staff member
I prefer the +1 to the like button. It tends to denote concurrence on a technical matter which can be useful for readers. The like button and too many other social media type things detract from technical content. I prefer the simplest interface with only the bare number of features required to access the content. Any more just distracts from learning imo. Others may feel differently.
Oops we agree... "Likes" on a technical answer post infers agreement, the answer post with a lot of likes might be worth considering over one with no likes. Likewise I wouldn't mind a dislike, or BS button, for posts we do not find credible.

This forum does not have a technical editor so it is up to the community to weed out misinformation. The moderators are pretty capable but it is unrealistic to expect us to be experts about everything.

======

Of course likes or dislikes in the brewery social commentary threads would just ramp up the contention already surrounding different agendas being promoted.

This is an old conjecture of mine... It might be nice if brewery posts just disappeared after a few days. There is little that I have read or seen there with durable value.

JR

PS; Is it just my imagination or has the temperature gone up around here lately (global warming?)

Bo Deadly

Meaning, members can choose to completely 'ignore' posts in the brewery and so they don't have to see the 'dribble' and 'clutter' when checking on recent posts ?

Yes! I was thinking the same thing but assumed that it would be asking too much. But I must say I'm impressed with Angie's work so far so if it's possible I would like to be able to exclude Brewery posts from "New posts". Meaning before the list is displayed, all Brewery posts get marked as read before the list is produced. I just don't want to see the political noise that has ZERO to do with E going on in that board sometimes.

Members, I need to know what you currently think about this. (I didn't do a poll since we have the conversation about the fine tuning of the forum to this thread.)

I can
1. Keep as is. Likes are on all forums
2. Keep on all but Brewer
3. Ditch them totally.

I don't really see the difference between replying with +1 and Like-ing a post. Except that the like system is a lot cleaner. And once some feature is removed it's not necessarily trivial or possible to add it back later. And it might make upgrading things in the future difficult for Angie. Do we need to make up all of the rules in the first week?

Likewise I wouldn't mind a dislike, or BS button, for posts we do not find credible.

This forum does not have a technical editor so it is up to the community to weed out misinformation. The moderators are pretty capable but it is unrealistic to expect us to be experts about everything.

I don't recommend that. Positive feedback is one thing but negative feedback can be demoralizing. Let's be honest. A lot of people are here to seek approval in some way. I do. When I come up with some circuit or build something I want people to see it and appreciate how great I am! So let's keep some perspective.

Script

It might be nice if brewery posts just disappeared after a few days. There is little that I have read or seen there with durable value.
Very good idea. Maybe not after four days, but entire thread gone after say six/three months without new posts.

A quarterly/biannual throw-out of dust collectors in the brewery, so to speak. Not sure it's technically possible though.

Afraid it would have to be done by hand. But all for it.

john12ax7

Reddit has up vote / down vote, sort of a like / dislike system. It's good for there, a fun way to see what's popular, but a really bad way to sort technical info. The like button alone can also be a popularity contest, don't see these as necessary components of science related discussions.

The brewery rhetoric seems to have increased since the changeover, not in a good way. I think the like button contributes to that, it's a way for people to validate their opinions and feel good. Things can quickly go down hill with that format and become a s***show ala facebook, I'ld rather that not happen here. This place should be a refuge for the objective over the subjective.

Brewery threads disappearing would be good, there is not much there worth preserving. Athough maybe it's really the politics part that needs to go. Some of the other discussions like beer and gardening I've found interesting.

PermO

I have some issues with the search function...

In the old search engine I could just type "864" and everything about the 864 compressor would show up.
Now it says the term is too short, so I add "compressor" or "vari mu" but it leaves out the "864" part and only comes up with unrelated topics now...

We have a lot of gear and parts with 3 or 4 letter names or numbers, this is not really helping.

john12ax7

I haven't been able to get the new posts filter to work. With no filters all new posts show up. But if I add any filters, e.g. threads I'm participating in, nothing shows up. I've double checked that the threads do indeed have new material, just doesn't show up when filters applied.

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
The brewery rhetoric seems to have increased since the changeover, not in a good way. I think the like button contributes to that, it's a way for people to validate their opinions and feel good. Things can quickly go down hill with that format and become a s***show ala facebook,
I don't see it that way, the style of discussion in the Brewery was often borderline or beyond in the past.

I think we should not design the functions of the forum on the experiences in the Brewery.

I'm not sure if we need the Brewery and these political and pseudo-religious trench wars at all?

I would just like to remind you of the endless Trump vs Wokeistan discussions that have not really helped coexistence here.

Do we need this? Aren't there enough other places for it on the Internet?

Latest posts