Hi everyone, my name is Angie

Help Support GroupDIY:

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Reddit has up vote / down vote, sort of a like / dislike system. It's good for there, a fun way to see what's popular, but a really bad way to sort technical info. The like button alone can also be a popularity contest, don't see these as necessary components of science related discussions.

The brewery rhetoric seems to have increased since the changeover, not in a good way. I think the like button contributes to that, it's a way for people to validate their opinions and feel good. Things can quickly go down hill with that format and become a s***show ala facebook, I'ld rather that not happen here. This place should be a refuge for the objective over the subjective.

Brewery threads disappearing would be good, there is not much there worth preserving. Athough maybe it's really the politics part that needs to go. Some of the other discussions like beer and gardening I've found interesting.
I am not a forum psychology expert but have survived trolls and flame wars on the WWW for decades. I agree that dislikes (negative) remarks about opinion posts in brewery would not be "affirming", but IMO it would have utility to discredit technical answer posts when bad information is offered. I prefer to just ignore bad information in the brewery (when not called out by name).

I suspect that the temperature rise around here is related to new features driving forum member engagement with more notifications. This is not bad (for the forum) but can be unpleasant if you march to a different drummer. But that's life.

JR

Script

I just turned off all 24(!!!!) different notification options under Alert / Preferences. It should kill the noise nicely

Tubetec

I'd urge caution adding new features , we have an ecosystem here thats evolved over time , what might seem like a bright new idea could easily unleash a trail of unintended consequences . The story of mainstream social media is litered with examples .

Last edited:

abbey road d enfer

IMO it would have utility to discredit technical answer posts when bad information is offered.
As you sure know, pointing fallacious technical info with a "thumb down" results in subjective reactions, the "pointee" accusing the "pointer" of prevarication, and putting the whole subject on a subjective level.
I much prefer responding to a fallacious affirmation with a substantiated analysis of the issue. In most cases, it's not enough to convince the other party that they are wrong, but allows enough reasonable doubt for watchers to have at least a whiff of objective discussion.

I suspect that the temperature rise around here is related to new features driving forum member engagement with more notifications.
I think there were many signs that some members were fed up with the flame-throwing in the Brewery, and they saw the haul-up as an occasion to put that right.
I maintain that members should not be allowed to have more posts in the B. than in all the other threads!

jacomart

IMO, likes belong to a specific post from an individual. It didn't exist before and our workaround was the "+1", which, I agree, clutters the thread, but served its purpose.
For me, it's the only purpose of such a thing.
Using likes to assess an individual's pertinence/credibility is preposterous. It just shows popularity, which we all know is an overvalued merit.
+1 leave the likes to Instagram!

ruffrecords

I just turned off all 24(!!!!) different notification options under Alert / Preferences. It should kill the noise nicely
I must be an old fuddy duddy because I have no idea of the benefit , if any, of alerts and push notifications (whatever they are). What does annoy me though is that these are all turned ON by default. I found I have a huge list of notifications which I have now turned off. I marked them as read but that does not seem to do anything. Can't seem to find a way of getting rid of them. This is a lot of useless data. I object strongly if it is stored on my computer and if it is stored on the GDY server then it is a patent waste of space.

Edit: I also managed to get rid of the sidebar that clutters up my screen with notifications.

Cheers

Ian

shabtek

I must be an old fuddy duddy because I have no idea of the benefit , if any, of alerts and push notifications (whatever they are). What does annoy me though is that these are all turned ON by default. I found I have a huge list of notifications which I have now turned off. I marked them as read but that does not seem to do anything. Can't seem to find a way of getting rid of them. This is a lot of useless data. I object strongly if it is stored on my computer and if it is stored on the GDY server then it is a patent waste of space.

Edit: I also managed to get rid of the sidebar that clutters up my screen with notifications.

Cheers

Ian
BOOM!
If only this garbage data could be reigned in (web-wide) our climate crisis would go away!
Anybody know how many GW are burned daily in server farms?

p.s. fwiw I'm an old fuddydud @half your age, Ian.

Banzai

White Market Member
We had likes before. They were very useful for group buys and as a way of acknowledging posts have been seen and read without needing to reply to everything.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
As you sure know, pointing fallacious technical info with a "thumb down" results in subjective reactions, the "pointee" accusing the "pointer" of prevarication, and putting the whole subject on a subjective level.
I much prefer responding to a fallacious affirmation with a substantiated analysis of the issue. In most cases, it's not enough to convince the other party that they are wrong, but allows enough reasonable doubt for watchers to have at least a whiff of objective discussion.
Easier said than done, and sometimes a drive-by dump of total nonsense occurs in a technical thread after good information has already been presented. Some posts can be so wrong it is hard to politely discredit (I am not always polite). A thumbs down can be kinder and gentler.

I think there were many signs that some members were fed up with the flame-throwing in the Brewery, and they saw the haul-up as an occasion to put that right.
It seems there is more political sophistry than less here now. I hope the brewery does not become the new debate club for social justice warriors.
I maintain that members should not be allowed to have more posts in the B. than in all the other threads!
Sadly not a rule, but I do look at members post history to get a sense of their reason for being here.

For the record the Brewery is not a serious sub forum "Kick back, relax, and shoot the breeze~ Warning: bar-stool preachers inside..." If not your cup of tea, just don't engage.

JR

Reactions: Pip

Script

Just checked 'Members' section. And apart from showing who is online, it also shows what they are doing.

Member X is reading this thread, member Y has just posted in that thread, member Z started a conversation with... etc.

Does it have to be visible like that by default ?

@Angie
I switched my 'online status' and 'show online activity' to off for now in the Privacy section. Meaning only I can see in that list what I am doing but other members cannot ??

Suggestion: ditch the activity list completely, only show online status, if at all.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Sometimes. But does it get to the point?
We rarely get to effectively educate seriously misinformed individuals. The best we can do typically is warn the others not to drink the same bad kool aid.

If a lucid correct explanation is not already present then by all means do so.

JR

Reactions: Pip

Angie

Administrator
Admin
The missing files are back! Images, etc.

And the 864 search works now also!
1620673597998.png

And the donate button is at the bottom of the page as it was before. At a later time it may be moved to the top of the forum for ease of finding it.

Angie

Administrator
Admin
You are welcome, and I'm very happy for you.