Horrible new ads on gdiy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

Normally Im not bothered by any ads on the forum...there tend to be just two on a page, after the first and last posts on a page.

But there is an awful new one from O2, where if your mouse just happens to cross it, a great ugly popup craps all over the screen.

Ok, it takes just a sec to close it, but am I alone in being annoyed by it all the time?

As the ad's rectangle covers most of the horizontal area of the screen, you're quite likely to have the mouse pass through when you scroll down (with the keyboard or scroll wheel)...

> I do not see any ads.....

You were surrounded by ads. See screen-shot below.

Serious DIY-ers can figure out how to block them (from ALL access) in the hosts file. I used to do that and gave up trying.

Attachments

• Gdiy-Ads.gif
    Gdiy-Ads.gif
    59.9 KB
Ads are targeted so what you see depends on where else you visit and what you buy there etc. Most browser have features or add ons that let you control adverts. I tend to leave them on in Google Chrome as they are a good source of income for sites like groupdiy but you can blacklist any advert you want quite easily.

Cheers

ian

Maybe a little help for those of you using Mozilla Firefox browser. There's an Add-on module for Firefox called AdBlock Plus. It's free. It is very effective in cleaning all the ads from pages you browse. You'll forget about that ads exist at all!

yeah..well, normally I have no problem with them, they are fairly unobtrusive. Ive just started getting ones that bring up massive popups whenever you mouse over  :(

> new one from O2, where if your mouse just happens to cross it, a great ugly popup craps all over the screen.

I don't see any ad like "O2".

Nor any pop-up spewing.

The Google-ads are based on *your* recent browsing history so you see different ads than I do.

The other thought is you have an infestation which is hijacking your browser via ad replacements.

using privdog,

blocks most stuff, sure do need a lot of blocking on youtube lately,

there is is future for a company that sells ad free internet access, maybe?

do not know how that would be implemented if at all,

Captain Midnight would probably crash it, :D

Latest posts

Back