Hot Sauce lovers in the group?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
Hello GDIY

My family and I are huge advocates of Community Collaboration along with being organic Hot Pepper farmers who happen to own an add value Hot Sauce Company.

We were thinking of a way o say thanks to GDIY for aiding with our educational journey.

"DIY or DIE" hot sauce in 3 flavours. Fuzz, Distortion & Overdrive.

We thought about launching some specific Audio Question polls to do hot sauce giveaways.

The group into this idea?

The Hot Sauce Company is legit meeting all the legalities and regulations of Canadian statute including a commercial kitchen.

Thoughts?

I just planted several hot pepper seeds in my DIY greenhouse, for this years garden...

I had a bumper crop of habaneras summer before last but I planted them too late in the season...  this year with the indoor greenhouse I have a good jump on the weather.

Besides the habanera, I have jalapeno, anaheim, serrano, calero, thai... even some bell pepper in the dirt .

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I just planted several hot pepper seeds in my DIY greenhouse, for this years garden...

I had a bumper crop of habaneras summer before last but I planted them too late in the season...  this year with the indoor greenhouse I have a good jump on the weather.

Besides the habanera, I have jalapeno, anaheim, serrano, calero, thai... even some bell pepper in the dirt .

JR

Splendid!

Well in the spirit of Hot Sauce, you WIN!  I will send you 3 bottles of the small batch we are making :)

Should be ready Monday with labels to be decided on still.

matriachamplification said:
Splendid!

Well in the spirit of Hot Sauce, you WIN!  I will send you 3 bottles of the small batch we are making :)

Should be ready Monday with labels to be decided on still.
Thanx for the offer, I have long been a fan of capsaicin...The "hot" in hot pepper. In recent years I have less desire to find even hotter, but I like harvesting my own crop...  I still have some several years old dried habaneras in my cupboard if I ever need mo heat.

I do a lot of slow cooking (I have a nice cuisinart)... For the last several months I have been experimenting with slow cooking at lower temps. Not dangerous low, but simmer (185') so suitably hot enough to kill microbes, but not so hot that it turns vegetables to mush.  This is purely subjective but it seems lower temperature cooking, makes the hot peppers in my recipes even hotter... Science does not support this observation. The capsaicin (oil) heat is not volatile at such low temps,... but the texture of vegetables cooked at lower temps is superior... so I think I'll keep doing it.  8)

YMMV

JR 

My brother grows a lot of peppers (habaneros, bird's eye, those tiny little ferocious ones), and I have quite a large lime tree that produces well. For the last couple of years I have been making a chili sauce based on lime juice, mixed chilis, vinegar, carrot, a bit of fruit (can't remember what), garlic, coriander??? Other stuff?? The recipe changes. It is inedible (too hot) for everyone in the family except me, so it is my sauce, which is great. I have it on eggs for breakfast. It is not extreme challenge hot (not interested) but certainly warming.

matriachamplification said:
Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea to me!

I discovered 'proper' hot sauce nearly 20 years ago in a visit to a show called Chilly Chiles in Ottawa.  I've been a fan ever since, and have been growing chillies from seed for quite a few years now too.

Here's a thread from a few years ago documenting my own experiments with hot sauce making. The photos are long gone but perhaps it's still of interest to you...

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48742.0

Cheers

Rob

I liken them to compressors, where the different peppers have varying  heat & tone " sustain & decay "
I've settled on ones based on the habanero  [w/ lime garlic & tequila ]
there's one guy who seems to have the market and trying to up the heat on the ghost peppers every season, but
at some point it's just like getting hit in the face & knocked on the floor [ no fun ]
I often take a few products and make my own " mixers "

okgb said:
I liken them to compressors, where the different peppers have varying  heat & tone " sustain & decay "
I've settled on ones based on the habanero  [w/ lime garlic & tequila ]
there's one guy who seems to have the market and trying to up the heat on the ghost peppers every season, but
at some point it's just like getting hit in the face & knocked on the floor [ no fun ]
I often take a few products and make my own " mixers "
A lot of cooking shows advise trimming out the membrane surrounding the seeds because it contains high concentrations of capsaicin... I don't completely understand the point...  ::) While there is more than just heat to the different hot pepper flavor profiles.

I like to mix different types of hot peppers together in my large chili batches... not unusual to put Anaheim, Serrano, and Jalapeno into the same dish... even Habanera when available (I can't buy fresh habanera in the market here, but they grow well here, and I still have some dried ones in my cupboard for emergency heat).

JR

rob_gould said:
I discovered 'proper' hot sauce nearly 20 years ago in a visit to a show called Chilly Chiles in Ottawa. 

CC has been a staple of Canadian hot sauce for generations! Such a great store always adding new creators flavours.

okgb said:
I liken them to compressors, where the different peppers have varying  heat & tone " sustain & decay

We may very well be able to create something with your idea :)

Squeaky said:
It is not extreme challenge hot (not interested) but certainly warming.

I have been making Hot Sauce since before I can remember. I had spent some time in Texas in the '90s learning Pit BBQ.
When we "launched" a hot sauce venture it was completely by demand. It got so big so fast my wife decided to stay 100% local.

For a great balance of heat and flavour use 1 super hot in a batch. I find the Ghost and even the hottest the Carolina Reaper, have a very sweet profile, huge aroma.

John Roberts I feel  is correct. A LOT of the flavour is in the oils which lie in the membrane and happen to be the hot spots!

My "Brands"

Horror Hot Sauce - 13 Flavours
Kaiju Hot Sauce - 4 SUPER HOTS
PEC Hot Sauce - 9 Standards with lots of small batch beer and whisky sauces.

Here is a shot of my family meeting the Dutchess & Prince Charles and talking hot sauce at the local farmers market.
I am personally anti publicity but they squeezed my head into a pic.

http://www.countylive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/hot-sauce-booth.jpg

Dont forget dried chilli and other spice infused oils  ,  a little goes a long way  ,
Ive done my own west indian style sauce from scotch bonnet and habanero too , I add everything at first to the pot ,then pass it all through a sieve to catch the seeds after its cooked ,
As a variation on the basic recipe I like to add some smoked paprika and a mix of garlic granuals and onion powder , it just balances the normally citric flavour with a little sweetness ,as their dry ingredients its easy to experiment. I often 'Doctor up' my store bought sauces too ,
The Japanese  7 spice chilli powder Ive been meaning to incorporate into a hot sauce , seaweed and citrus peel will definately add something to the flavour party .

I was thinking of trying hot smoked fresh chili for a little extra county twang in my hot sauce  8)

We have 100+ Hot Pepper seedlings to plant this year and wil be re-activating our Hot Sauce giveaway idea over the next few days and adding a sign up sheet to our website.

We thought a 50/50 fishbowl raffle with some giveaways from DIY Kit Manufactureres as well as swag and hot sauce is a good start.

NOTE: 25% of all money raised is for GDIY, 25% for Majestic Electric and the remaining 50% of the funds goes to the winner of the 50/50 fishbowl raffle which will take place the FIRST weekend of March 2022.

A fishbowl raffle is when you draw tickets with the last ticket(s) drawn being the winners. This is done over the weekend long Award Ceremony first weekend of March.

JohnRoberts said:
Hot Pepper?

This year I have seeds planted for thai, habanero, jalapeno, annahiem, and of course bell...

JR

We grow mostly Carolina Reapers and Ghost Peppers as they are the hardest and most expensive to find in Canada.

The Pepper King is a local farmer who grows the rest for us. He has fields of them.

I love hot sauce, all kinds. My go-to is harissa, but I also love thai sriracha, and of course Tabasco.
I used to get a selection of hot sauces when I vacationed to New Orleans, but I've been grounded for two years now.
I don't have a green thumb so I don't even think of growing any peppers.

abbey road d enfer said:
I love hot sauce, all kinds. My go-to is harissa, but I also love thai sriracha, and of course Tabasco.
I used to get a selection of hot sauces when I vacationed to New Orleans, but I've been grounded for two years now.
I don't have a green thumb so I don't even think of growing any peppers.

Here is our website. Got it rebooted after our url went cold and some company held the .com hostage.

https://www.pechotsauce.org/

We cannot keep up with local demand. This being the reason we don't sell online.

We are back in the kitchen cooking up a batch this week and send out some tasters to you moderators for critiquing, if you like.

Well I'm from Mexico so my answer is a resounding YES, everything here has hot sauce, foreigners complain that when they ask for "no sauce or peppers" with their food, they still give them peppers with their food hahaha, the question here is not wheter you want your food with sauce or no sauce, but rather a lot of sauce or not much sauce.

I've heard a lot of theories as to why Mexico's gastronomy is entirely based on chili, the most amazing and credible is that back in the Aztech days, they used to have famine and food wasn't that abundant, so they had to eat, lets call it "old" or "rotten" food, so they added chili to the food to mask the rotten flavour. There is stew called 'Pozole' its really popular, it has chickpea, meat, letuce, etc.. and a lot of chili, it is delicious, however the legend behind it is quite dark (and don't know if its true), it is said that when the Aztechs made human sacrifices they chopped up the body parts and made this stew called Pozole for everyone to eat, fortunately we no longer do that hahaha It is said that when the spaniards arrived to Tenochtitlan, which was the Aztech city with the piramids, the piramids were covered with blood, which was a product of human sacrifice. I believe the Aztechs were perhaps one the most barbaric culture in history.

It is a problem, whenever I get a stomach disease, its is so hard to eat anything because EVERYTHING is spicy, with sauce, chilli, etc...

The rule here is if some Mexican tells you something is not spicy, it is definitely spicy. Avoid red, yellow or orange sauce, or peppers, green sauce tends to be lighter, but still some of them are rabidly strong. Even american fast food restaurants have a lot of chili hahaha, there are mexicanized breakfasts from McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, even Pizza, the mexican pizza is full of chilli peppers and we still add hot sauce to it.

A basic food here in Mexico to give to the poor is hot chilli pepper, it is a fundamental part of our diet, we use it in everything. You can buy in the supermarket these donation cards to give peper chilli to the poor, or beans, or rice, and tortilla of course.

Ohh and the 'Mexican' food you have in the US is not Mexican at all, it is TexMex, I do like it thou... When I lived in Ohio around 5 years ago, I did find a couple of real mexican restaurants, one of them was specially good, and its really funny how happy the owners get when they find out you are mexican, they sit with you to eat, they chat, they ask questions, they treat you like an old family member even if you are complete strangers etc.. etc.. I love that about the US, its a very diverse country, everyone feels American but they still feel so proud of their origins.

Fun fact, a tribe of the Aztechs were called the Mexica and they founded their holy city based on a legend about their God Huitzilopochtli, who told them to settle and build their city at the place where they found a snake standing on top of a cactus devouring a snake (that is the coat of arms in the middle of the mexican flag) , which is why the country is called Mexico as in "the place of the Mexica", and what does it mean in the native language? it means "The moon's bellybutton". Well, that doesn't have anything to do with hot sauce, but I guess Now you know  ;D

Latest posts

Back