How can I make a 10 or 20 db Mic input pad?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

I want to make an insertable mic input pad, 10 or 20db, that will not affect the sound of the mic, but can be inserted between the mic cable and the input of the preamp.

This is because most of my mics don't have built in pads, and the preamp I am using does not either. Sometimes I am getting more than enough gain even at the minimum gain switch setting.

Maybe it would be easier to just buy the device. Anyone know where I cn find such a creature?

Shane

Thanks! That was a great read. Now I am just trying to figure out what will happen to the phantom power, as it will be going through the resistive network as well.

Shane

There is no -10dB pad that won't mess up the generally accepted impedances in a mike interface. Even -15dB is marginal. Build a -20dB.

> what will happen to the phantom power, as it will be going through the resistive network as well.

Don't use a grounded pad. The standard U-pad is fine. An extra K or so in series with Phantom won't bother most mikes. If you are very fussy like Jensen, do it as shown in their paper (but this is less handy).

Latest posts

Back