How recordings from Daw to Daw..?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

front247

Hello
I have a seemingly trivial problem ... I make music on the principle that I record live from external equipment (synthesizers, etc.) on the Cool edit pro track ... and on the second track I would like to record in real time what is playing from another DAW (in in this case FL studio). The problem is that I am not able to record to the signal path from another DAW..inside the computer...Do you have any idea how to do it?

Hello
I have a seemingly trivial problem ... I make music on the principle that I record live from external equipment (synthesizers, etc.) on the Cool edit pro track ... and on the second track I would like to record in real time what is playing from another DAW (in in this case FL studio). The problem is that I am not able to record to the signal path from another DAW..inside the computer...Do you have any idea how to do it?

What operating system? You can use Jack Audio Connection Kit for that style of use, there was the commercial ReWire product (which is now discontinued), but I think Apple CoreAudio may be able to do that natively (as can Pipewire on most Linux distributions). JACK was developed on Linux so is definitely less painful to get running there, but it runs on Windows and Mac.

Recording the track from the other DAW in real time seems unnecessary?
Just import the file eg as a WAV or FLAC file onto the second track then record live onto the first track alongside that ?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know I can just export the file from the DAW and put it in a multitrack on track...but...my recording workflow this way is cumbersome. The thing is, I use FL studio as a MIDI trigger for my hardware synthesizers.. this keeps me in full sync all the time, the sound from those synths is routed directly to the analog input of my SSL 2 sound card, and that's how I write the track to my multi-track DAW... .but...at the same time in FL studio I have various other extra instruments or vsts that I want to record to the second track when playing live and it doesn't work...I just can't redirect the audio signal from FL studio to the multitrack track ( cooleditpro).
My SSL 2 sound card has no visible routing option at all. Before this sound card I had an ESI maya 44 card, it was a simple card and yet it had the WIRE DIRECT option where there was a panel on which signals from different outputs could be internally redirected to different inputs and so I recorded without any problems ... after changing the card I don't have any takeij possibilities .. which seems strange to me ... hence my problem
Thing is, I like real-time multi-track recording...I just treat FLstudio as another synthesizer..and Cooledit pro as a multi-track recorder..live. That's how I got used to it for a long time and I don't like to arrange each track in turn and then place it on the multi-track ... I edit the recorded material only at the end on already recorded tracks.

update:
I know everything now. It turned out that the SSL company in its ssl2 and ssl2+ interfaces did not provide the option of internal routing ... which is something that probably all interfaces have had for 20 years ... SSL technical support sent me to install some external software that would fulfill this task ... only they the new ssl 12 product has an extensive internal loop option ... Also the topic is solved and I have to sell this card and buy something else :) thanks and I salute you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back