How to add Transformer to board channel in and out

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyboyboy

Hi gang!

I have fancied the idea of adding transformers to the channels of my trident 65 board. I have heard of others doing this but could not find any information on it. Has anyone gone into doing something like this for their console and have any pictures / stories / information they want to share about their experience?

Many thanks for reading, and enjoy your time here

Just insert it in place of the coupling capacitors. But the transformers need to be 1:1. Looks like Jensen JT-MB-CA is designed precisely for that application. There are some notes about how to do it in that datasheet.

I think it is important to isolate these transformer from any DC-voltage. With DC-voltage into the transformer the transformer core will be magnetized and so distorsion will be the result.
Best regards!
jokeramik

so you want your front end of you 65:

trident65.png
be reworked as an 80: trident80.png

??

Shouldn't be much of an issue, but I would try getting a transformer with a center tapped secondary, and put the bias resistor to ground on that connection. Instead of two independent ones.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be much of an issue, but I would try getting a transformer with a center tapped secondary, and put the bias resistor to ground on that connection. Instead of two independent ones.

Huh? Those circuits are completely different. Just in insert JT-MB-CA in place of what looks like C2 C3.

I was waiting for the forum's technical troll come by with its typical sarcasm that trails them.
Yes that would work, as the transformer the troll is pushing you to buy, has the other valid method illustrated in its datasheet.

JT-MB-CA
Huh? Those circuits are completely different. Just in insert JT-MB-CA in place of what looks like C2 C3.
Obviously, he doesn't understand the compare and contrast post of the front end of a Trident 60 and a Trident 80.

But now you know the two methods you can connect this transformer. And I did post the not so common way first on purpose. Just to trap the troll. ... bye bye... If this site has a block button....

But now you know the two methods you can connect this transformer. And I did post the not so common way first on purpose.

Hey, I'm always interested in learning something new. I can't think of an obvious reason why you would want to bias the transistors through a center tap. On the contrary I would think the resistors in the non-center tapped circuit would shunt high frequency stuff.

So why bias the transistors through a center tap?

Back