How to build a simple high pass filter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctechdx

I'm having some very low hum in a tube preamp. I did some measures with RMAA and I see there's a high peak on very low frequencies... It goes from 15hz and goes high in 10hz.

Is there some simple high-pass filter I can build only for filter this low hum? A 20hz or even a 15hz hp filter would help. How can I do this?

I think it would be easier to come up with ideas if you post the schematic of your preamp.
Or do you want to build a standalone filter which you can insert before the preamp? 

ctechdx said:
I'm having some very low hum in a tube preamp. I did some measures with RMAA and I see there's a high peak on very low frequencies... It goes from 15hz and goes high in 10hz.
Is it really hum? I doubt it. Mains frequency-related hum starts at 50 or 60Hz.
Anything below that should be investigated.
Is it constant? It maybe, as Jakob suggested, sounds picked up by the mic (vibrations, HVAC, tellurics...) and exacerbated by a possible resonance of the xfmr/coupling cap, or a VLF oscillation (known as motor-boating), which is quite frequent in tube devices.
Anyway, without a schemo we can do no more than speculate.

Latest posts

Back