How To Mechanically Isolated Spring Reverb Tanks?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, might not be mechanical at all. As you have the tanks AFTER the eq, it’s possible that any discontinuities in fader travel due to dirt/age/grime/etc (even high frequency faders) could be generating some small levels of super low frequency pot movement noise during travel that is making the springs freak out and go all wobbly. You’d know it was this if you were able to get the unit to make the wobble at the same spot on the fader. Solution- clean all the faders really well and/or high pass the feed TO the tank at 40Hz. I’d do it right at the input to the tank driver board, as I don’t know the dn360, but it’s possible the high pass and low pass are before the EQ, so if noise is generated in the EQ it wouldn’t be scraped out by the built-in filters.

Wanted to add… if somehow there were discontinuities in the fader travel due to age/dirt/grime/etc, the signal you’re sending to the tank may have some extra super low frequency bumps/transient noise that you’re not hearing. You’d know this was happening because you could maybe reproduce it at the same spot on the fader that’s causing the low tone. If you could high pass the send to the tank at like 40Hz you might be better off.

IMO, JR told you everything you need to know. The tank you showed in the video are 2bb2b1c…according to
https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-articles/accutronics-products-and-specificationsYours are supposed to be mounted vertically with the connectors pointing up. The way they hang the springs inside is based on which direction they’ll deflect the most without banging while hanging. Make sure yours are oriented correctly and I’d imagine you’ll enjoy far better mechanical noise immunity.
Love this concept BTW, and totally understand why it’s way more fun to be able to eq on the fly withOUT a huge floppy sound messing everything up. Good luck!
At the beginning (in the video) the springs are mounted vertically. Later I've tried to mount them horizontally with no change in the amount of mechanical noise.

Hi, I made a stereo reverb unit using a Klark Teknik DN360 EQ, a spring reverb drivers and two type 9 tanks.
everything works and sounds great.

It sounds pretty good and I like that you left the EQ circuit so you can EQ the reverb to taste

Do you have pictures of the insides? Can you post some?

How were you able to fint inside the reverb tanks plust the reverb cricuitry while maintaining the original graphic EQ circuit?

It sounds pretty good and I like that you left the EQ circuit so you can EQ the reverb to taste

Do you have pictures of the insides? Can you post some?

How were you able to fint inside the reverb tanks plust the reverb cricuitry while maintaining the original graphic EQ circuit?
I've installed the reverb circuitry inside the gray box attached to the EQ's chassis.
I've made some cuts on the upper lips of the chassis so it will be easier to put the tanks in.

Attachments

• 248920576_2996255643946686_2918660618795514910_n.jpg
    248920576_2996255643946686_2918660618795514910_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 248090563_255957763022594_6236945429213804194_n.jpg
    248090563_255957763022594_6236945429213804194_n.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 17
Back