How to put the theory into practise?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dowsed

I am a sound engineer starting to get into electronics. I understand the basic principles behind, AC and DC, ohms law, components such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, inductors, transformers, diodes, ICs etc. However, I want to get into implementing them (especially for audio) are there any good youtube or other video series to learn how to start seeing these basic parts utilized in the real world. I am struggling to take this basic theory and then understand precisely how a schematic works or how I would build any basic circuits beyond what is ridiculously simple.

it seems to me that once you understand the basics, it is as much about remembering "patterns" of components that achieve an end result, like oh that configuration is a simple full range rectifier or spec'ing appropriate parts for a "standard design".

I am more of a visual person so I'd definitely videos but good books would also be considered.

Cheers in advance.

There is no short cut for learning on the job and I  think you have to start by building.

Make simple things first like guitar pedals or DI boxes, and work your way up. Plenty of kits on line. Ask questions here, and ask yourself what each component is doing and try to guess its purpose. Most larger circuits are built from simple blocks - filters, amps and so on, and you can learn to recognise some of them.

A good tip is to build something you actually want or need - then you have double incentive.

Great advice,

that is actually what I am doing I am waiting on my first kit stomp box (a ts808 clone). I guess what I am asking more specifically is there anywhere that people know of that explains these "simple building blocks" found in audio so that I can break down a schematic a bit more rather than it just seeming like a massive puzzle with nowhere to start.

Go and BUY a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill.  It is a very practical book with many example circuits explained in detail.

You will find pearls of wisdom now and will still be finding them when you are a guru in your old age.

Also check out the numerous books written by Forrest Mims III.  Several of his books are actually stocked at Radio Shack stores!

Other books worth having are the various "Cookbook" volumes written by Walt Jung and Don Lancaster.

Jung has lots of stuff published online, although his main website seems to be offline at the moment.  A variety of his articles are on the Analog Devices website.

Lancaster's website is very eclectic:  http://tinaja.com/

Bri

I found these articles to be especially helpful with understanding jfets...

http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/media/application_notes/JFET's%20The%20New%20Frontier%20Part%201,%20by%20Erno%20Bordely.pdf

http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/media/application_notes/JFET's%20The%20New%20Frontier%20Part%202,%20by%20Erno%20Bordely.pdf

Latest posts

Back