How to repair a toroidal transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Hello wonderful forum.
I recently bought a HT tube transformer from a member.
It has taps for 250v doesn't work.
By curiosity I pulled on both leads and they came apart..i was able to weld one lead back but not the other.
Everytime I tried to remove varnish it kept breaking so I need to unwind a turn..will this affect anything...more importantly will this remain safe on use?
I'd like to save it so I can finish my build..so any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Hello wonderful forum.
I recently bought a HT tube transformer from a member.
It has taps for 250v doesn't work.
By curiosity I pulled on both leads and they came apart..i was able to weld one lead back but not the other.
Everytime I tried to remove varnish it kept breaking so I need to unwind a turn..will this affect anything...more importantly will this remain safe on use?
I'd like to save it so I can finish my build..so any input is appreciated.
Thanks
One turn (as @gyraf said) will not make a big diference but what you mean by "welding" the magnet wire? Soldering?
Also, you must pay attention to.make good insulation at the junction point. Thermo resistant wire sleeve and tape are recommended. You don't want to make short winding and fire!

Well I blew it all ..
I tried to go carefully at cutting the insulation but I cut some winding by mistake...lol.
Looking for something similar then. Thanks

The tape insulation on toroids is easy to unwind ,
getting to where the break is and unwinding a turn isnt often that easy ,
I had a pair of identical toroids before , reclaimed from scrap , one good one bad , I inadvertantly tore the good one down , so they both ended up in the bin . winsome/losesome

Back