How to safely carry 500-series modules to session

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertu

My son is starting to accumulate a good number of 500-series modules for his recording business, and we are wondering if there are any recommendations for how to protect the 500 series modules when he brings them to the studio? Anti-static bags and Amazon bubble envelopes only go so far, and get unwieldly when you are transporting multiple units.

Does anyone make custom carry cases? Or has anyone bought a case and cut out the foam, and which one did you get?

Thanks,
Bertu

My son is starting to accumulate a good number of 500-series modules for his recording business, and we are wondering if there are any recommendations for how to protect the 500 series modules when he brings them to the studio? Anti-static bags and Amazon bubble envelopes only go so far, and get unwieldly when you are transporting multiple units.
There is no need for anti-static protection for 500 modules.
Just consider physical protection.
I would consider something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/AxiGear-Wate...ds=hard+case+with+foam&qid=1662954131&sr=8-11It could accomodate about 8 standard modules, which would make it not too heavy.
Some would opt for a flight case, but it ends up being too heavy, and not necessarily more protective.

Does anyone make custom carry cases? Or has anyone bought a case and cut out the foam, and which one did you get?

Thanks,
Bertu
So it still hasn't been answered. Are the modules loose, or in a lunchbox like they were designed to go into?

JLM Audio's "Sidekick" 500 rack can be purchased with a locking steel lid. Might be a good solution for your son.

SIDEKICK_ANGLE_LID.JPG

Sorry, didn't expect any further responses to my simplistic question.

The units are loose. My son has his rack all wired up from the back and built in, and when he goes to a different studio he may take a few modules with him.

Thanks for the pointers to the various carry cases with foam, we should be able to find something of the right size among these.

This is a little quirky, but it works. You could also make something similar (DIY) using rack Rails for your lunchbox: Gator GR-RETRORACK-3SG Vintage Amp Vibe Rack Case - 3U Seafoam Green
I’ve built some 3u rack containers very similar to those with wood. 3/4” plywood for the sides, a strip for mounting, and 1/4” ply for tops and bottoms, Carry handle on the side. For the cost of the one listed, bet you can make 6 or more of these. Youncan make them any depth you like, I think i went 1’. Room to mount a power strip in the back, so you have 3 outlets to fill and one to gang to the next box.

The units are loose. My son has his rack all wired up from the back and built in, and when he goes to a different studio he may take a few modules with him.

Thanks for the pointers to the various carry cases with foam, we should be able to find something of the right size among these.

Well some ideas for loose carry, there esd sprays you can use to antistatic protect containers. Its pricy, about $40+ a can when I bought mine, If you expect abuse, you want some shock mounting. If its local carry, just esd protect. Mine was called licron crystal, I have used it to spray plastic parts containers i use to divide working parts, since I discovered that some people say its not suitable for ESL Diaphragms. That was my original intent.

And just for grins, another idea I did. ESD paint can be made cheaply. I took an enamel and added graphite for a conductive paint. Just dont add to much, its easy to get it around 1meg resistance, which is a bit low for esd purposes. But its easy to make a lot of cheap paint for protection.

I would not recommend that. The gold pins do have a lifespan depending on the gold thickness. They are not really designed for constant plugging and unplugging. I would suggest putting together a mobile lunchbox and then you plug that into the patchbay at the various studios.
yes. This.

I would never EVER make a habit out of carrying modules like that to a session. Just get as many lunchboxes as you need.

Thanks John and Ricardus, that actually makes sense. I had started reading about wearing out the gold fingers, so this definitely settles this.

We'll look for lunch boxes rather than carry cases.

Thanks all!

Another consideration is a patch bay in the flight case. I have 6 x 6U racks wired to DB25 on panels on rear. I have patch bays in one of the cases. That way I can take all / or part of my equipment to a studio and connected all together on DB25's

It is a bit of an expense to get going but will saves time when setting up and breaking down. Maybe not needed with a small amount of gear. However it is good to grow this type of system with your gear especially if you are moving around studios.

These Signex are reasonable priced and seem pretty good quality. They are really flexible with wiring and normalising setups. Signex CPT96 Isopatch Bantam (DB25). If you are in the US then the price is even better now and shipping is not that much.

You can sometimes pick up cheap Van Damme cable from Ebay for wiring or Hosa do reasonable quality pre built looms on a budget.

Hello,

If you want to use Signex CTP96 Isopatch I would strongly recommend to use their " Pro " version, with blue color front panel.
They are more expensive than the " black panel ", but better designed and their TT jacks have a special contact treatment that make them very reliable.
Just my experience... :)

Best,
Guy

I don't recommend carrying racks loaded with modules. Unless you can guarantee babied conditions. The racks are not
rigid enough to withstand shocks, much of the force gets concentrated on the edge connector and the mating connector on the rack's backplane. This splits that backplane connector. I've replaced several after tradeshow shipping.

Edited to fix brainfart spelling.

Last edited:
Back