I am suspicious

Help Support GroupDIY:

ruffrecords

I know nothing of groupbuilder. Would this be a bad thing?
One of the complaints of the users of one newly acquired group was that groupbuilder automatically assumes the copyright of anything posted. If that is true then I would not be happy. Plus the board is plastered with ads just like GS. And if it is the case, it would have been nice to have been asked.

Cheers

Ian

Ricardus

One of the complaints of the users of one newly acquired group was that groupbuilder automatically assumes the copyright of anything posted. If that is true then I would not be happy. Plus the board is plastered with ads just like GS. And if it is the case, it would have been nice to have been asked.

Cheers

Ian
I saw another mention of Groupbuilder in the "Hi I'm Angie" thread, and it doesn't look like it was addressed, so other people are apparently noticing it, too.

Last edited:

Winston OBoogie

I'm with Ian on being concerned if it's true.
The reason there was an en masse exodus from the old place to this place in 2005 was because of the site assuming copyright of everything written and posted on there.

Heikki

Terms and rules here say ”You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.”

also ”These terms may be changed at any time without notice.”

Many other discussion forums will not disclose your data to any third party without your consent but that’s doesn’t seem to be the case here.

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
the site assuming copyright of everything written and posted on there.

This would be the end of groupdiy.com as we know it. I think it is up to Ethan and Angie to explain whats going on.

It was clear to me relatively quickly that something fundamental had changed after the professional move. Something like that costs money and that has to come from somewhere. I hope the new management is smart enough not to make any mistakes. It would be good if they would make a clear communication about their ideas and plans.
That doesn't have to be bad as long as they respect the basically free character of groupdiy.com.

Last edited:

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Terms and rules here say ”You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.”

also ”These terms may be changed at any time without notice.”
Ohh, that is a stop sign for me to publish anything here.

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Then this means that this site was most likely recently sold. Those terms were NOT there before the recent changeover.
We don't know the deal, maybe the new operators were compensated with shares for their work. As I said, that doesn't have to be bad in principle.

What is fundamentally bad, however, is the takeover of the rights of use and exclusivity of exploitation of the content.

This is my personal red line.

Winston OBoogie

Your red line is exactly the same as mine Rock.

You're right, no, we don't know if the forum was sold.

All attachments are now visible whether you're logged in as a member or not too, which is another change.

Hmm...

Last edited:

ruffrecords

Then this means that this site was most likely recently sold. Those terms were NOT there before the recent changeover.
The equivalent paragraph of the Rocketry forum which s owned by groupbuiilder is as follows:
By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to display, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, use, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to any and all content that you post on the Websites. If you do not wish to grant The Rocketry Forum these rights, do not submit content to the Website.

The 'adapt, modify, ... create derivative works from' part would NOT be acceptable to me.

Cheers

Ian

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Your red line is exactly the same as mine Rock.

You're right, no, we don't know if the forum was sold. But I do know that those particular terms re. copyright weren't there before.

All attachments are now visible whether you're logged in as a member or not too, which is another change.

Hmm...
Maybe these are leftovers from the forum template, which has not been updated yet. I really hope that this will be corrected...

jarvis

I would be devastated if GDIY would just die out due to a company takeover and TOS changes that make it unusable. I hope this all clears up, since I've learned so much from all the folks here and I really hope to continue doing that in the future. Even though I'm not an avid poster, I follow a lot of threads and love to dig into the wealth of cumulated experience we have here.

Best
Jannis

Latest posts