I am suspicious

Help Support GroupDIY:

Winston OBoogie

The 'Terms and Rules' there now are ones which Angie switched over to/put up when this thread emerged.
The ones initially there after the switch to the new software were, according to Angie, their standard procedure/default terms and it was these, along with what had been noticed as happening on other Groupbuilder owned sites that initially prompted the suspicion.

cyrano

Groupbuilder was a small company in Texas. A real company. In 2014 they got acquired by Carbon Media.

Carbon Media is a marketing company buying online communities. Certainly not for their ip, but for their consumer data. Targeted advertising is the market:

Both are really small shrimp in the ocean, owned by Vertical Scope. The only slight hiccup is that Carbon media seems to like guns.

Still, advertising. Bigger and Canadian.

We've focused on communities that all have one thing in common: highly active consumers​

Members of our communities are passionate about sharing their interests with like-minded individuals and those whose identities are similarly shaped by the things they love. We focus on hyper-specific subjects that engender strong affinity from online communities of super fans.

Torstar has a 56% share in Vertical Media. Torstar is the Toronto Star, a newspaper. Again, advertising. Need I go on?

So it's not our design, our schematics they want. It's our influencer's mind.

Something to worry about?

Something to hope for?

I've heard some voices here that the industry better listen to... us?

Dualflip

Groupbuilder was a small company in Texas. A real company. In 2014 they got acquired by Carbon Media.

Carbon Media is a marketing company buying online communities. Certainly not for their ip, but for their consumer data. Targeted advertising is the market:

Both are really small shrimp in the ocean, owned by Vertical Scope. The only slight hiccup is that Carbon media seems to like guns.

Still, advertising. Bigger and Canadian.

Torstar has a 56% share in Vertical Media. Torstar is the Toronto Star, a newspaper. Again, advertising. Need I go on?

So it's not our design, our schematics they want. It's our influencer's mind.

Something to worry about?

Something to hope for?

I've heard some voices here that the industry better listen to... us?
Thanks for the research, the question remains thou, why say "ohh its just some friends and I helping out Ethan"? why not tell the truth? why the silence?

From the Angie post:
1. Is Ethan still here and an admin - YES. My friends and I are here to take a load off him.

Apparently NO, he is NOT

Also from the Angie post:
GB aka me has partnered with Ethan to manage the technical/finance/ad side due to his growing lack of time and availability

But it is good that we have established that its not "just some friends and I" which makes it sound like Angie is having a LAN party at her house (remember those?), but that the forum has been acquired by a company from a conglomerate owned by a big corporation. If its only "advertising", which remains to be seen, then I have no problem.

BTW Angie said in this thread that she is only the tech here, but in the other thread she says that GB aka her manage the technical/finance/ad side (aka 'everything'), so why wait for Ethan? what else is left for Ethan to 'manage'? what exactly is this "partnership" ? perhaps acquisition or purchase would be a better word? if GB aka Angie, manages all that, perhaps she could let us know a tiny bit about the technical, financial and ad side...

However, the fact that their main goal is advertising doesn't negate the fact that their policy might include things like everything that you post is their property, regardless of whether they use it or not.... which, BTW, seems to be the policy in other forums owned by GroupBuilder.

I wonder if they would've even told us that the forum is now owned by GroupBuilder if Ian and others wouldn't have done their homework......

I repeat, don't do good things that look bad....

Last edited:

jacomart

The software that is used now to make this forum work costs 160 USD, the domain hosting, including backup, RDBMS, antivirus etc, costs a few tens of USD / Yr, the time needed to make the site work is a few hours. The real job is that of the daily management, the one done by the moderators who have to check the correctness of the users, protect them from spammers, haters, and from all the other “-ers“ who every day try in some way to destabilize the community. in the 90s I created and managed together with some friends some photography forums and I don't remember having to incur additional expenses or not having slept at night due to technical problems. Sorry but this is the reality, I did not write this to take a position but to say how certain things work, then everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. Not all that glitters is gold. I would like to make it clear that I am in no way proposing that we all leave to create a new community.

Cheers
JM

Sorry, I forgot this

Last edited:

Dualflip

The software that is used now to make this forum work costs 160 USD, the domain hosting, including backup, RDBMS, antivirus etc, costs a few tens of USD / Yr, the time needed to make the site work is a few hours. The real job is that of the daily management, the one done by the moderators who have to check the correctness of the users, protect them from spammers, haters, and from all the other “-ers“ who every day try in some way to destabilize the community. in the 90s I created and managed together with some friends some photography forums and I don't remember having to incur additional expenses or not having slept at night due to technical problems. Sorry but this is the reality, I did not write this to take a position but to say how certain things work, then everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. Not all that glitters is gold. I would like to make it clear that I am in no way proposing that we all leave to create a new community.

Cheers
JM

Sorry, I forgot this
I was also a forum admin around 10 years ago using SMF, the biggest work was done by the moderators, spammers are a big issue, aside from that it never became a problem for me...

Tubetec

I'm not proposing we pack our trunks and say goodbye to the circus(like Nelly the elephant) either , however the threat of a mass walk out 'en bloc' is our most powerful weapon , so never say never Jaco .
Presumably Ethan has walked away reasonably well recompensed for his input here over the years and most of us dont begrudge him that( but we still need to know the truth of matters) .If a downing of tools did happen Ethan doesnt have to give the money back , we move on , the 'entity' ends up out of pocket with an empty worthless shell of a site that they payed a nice chunk of change for , we continue , you only loose face GB .
Its still a shit load of bother for the community to up sticks and move , so instead lets try hack out a deal on behalf of the users , the like of which sets a precedent and sends out a strong message to other online communities that they dont need to sell their souls to the devil to justify good work done .

I'll leave it there for now , but the obfuscation and smoke screens aren't washing one bit well with me and many others by the looks . We the users hold all the trump cards , you the 'entity' aint got jack shit other than a 'poncified' ad revenue that we can switch off at a moments notice .

We own you, you dont own us , Power to the people , right on

sahib

White Market Member
Then why did you suggest lynching Ethan?

JR

No, I did not suggest lynching Ethan, Obviously you have a difficulty in comprehension.

Just read my second post again and you will hopefully see that I was actually making a point that he was nearly being lynched from the tone of the thread. Otherwise, and in contrary, I am actually defending Ethan's position.

You also contradict yourself. You first tell me that I should improve my jokes (which is fine) but then you accuse me of suggesting to Lynch Ethan. If it is a joke, then it can not be serious, hence can not be a suggestion.

However, I do not wish to drag this on and on, and I am fine if you have taken my joke literally, but do not ever accuse me of something that was clearly not he case.

sahib

White Market Member
It was obviously a joke, but also one in poor taste and would be best deleted imo.
No,

It was not intended as poor taste and my second post made that point.

However, on the other hand, it can be considered as lousy because I should have perhaps set the context.

But what I am worried that you are still trying not to see what I actually meant.

Tubetec

The Scottish sense of humour/irony has to be acquired , it doesnt come naturally to most of the rest of us apart from maybe the Irish , actually maybe Northern English folk do understand it as well

sahib

White Market Member
Ok. Here is the user manual.

The tone of the thread was in the direction of Ethan somehow having sold the forum to some company and should come clean to explain. Perhaps I too took it all literally and posted the first post.

Then I accepted that it has ben taken literally, and posted my second post to explain what I meant.

But, it seems still you are dwelling on the first post and giving me a beating here, but completely ignoring the second post.

scott2000

Perhaps using the "L" word is kinda part of the issue ?. Maybe if we said we'd hook his capacitors up to a Fairchild B+ the humor would have been better received.
JK

@ Tubetec.... I hear the William Wallace being channeled. Exciting!

Last edited:

Tubetec

Bullet in the head , rage against the machine , they say jump ,you say how high , a great metaphor for the modern social media driven idiom , well ahead of its time . F**k you I wont do what you tell me .

Ive heard second hand that croc clips applied to the neither regions wired to an old fashioned hand cranked field telephone you can easily make people confess to crimes they havent even committed , thats only 90 volts FFS , 450 volts and their junk is liable to spontanously combust Scotty :LOL:

Tubetec

A pile of smouldering wreckage where my junk used to be , sounds like a bad country song doesnt it 😄

Latest posts