I Hate Mechanics (modushop)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am no mechanical engineer. I just spent nearly the entire evening trying to work out the correct way to assemble a modushop Pesante 2U rack box. It turns out there are quite a few wrong ways to do it and I think I found them all. Unfortunately there are no assembly instructions either supplied or on the web site. There are drawings to download from the web site but you need a program that reads dwg or dxf files and then you need to know how to interpret them. A simple exploded view in a pdf would do it for me.

So, for any other mechanically challenged engineers out there, here are the key points to successfully assembling you Pesante.

1. The rear panel mount behind the two side rails. There's a nice slot just inside the side rails that the rear panel fits neatly into and it looks really good after you do up the screws. Unfortunately this is completely wrong. The rest of the case will not assemble unless the back panel is fitted behind the side panels.

2. If you are going to used the extra punched base, then assemble it to the sides as the first job.  ANd you need to take care to line up the punched holes at the edges so they mate up with the four holes in the sides. These holes take the screws that hold the bottom on and unless they are lined up you won't be able to fit the bottom last thing.

3. The top and bottom panels only fit one way round - with the vents at the rear. I ASSumed they were symmetrical but they are not. Only with the vents at the back and with the lip of the top (and bottom) behind the rear panel (which you will remember is beghind the side panels) will the top and bottom fit and its fixing holes line up with those in the sides.

4. The front lip of the top and bottom does fit in front of the ends of the side panels (the opposite of at the rear). This leave the front panel clear to mount directly to the sides at the front.

I am sure this all makes perfect sense to a mechanical engineer but to me it is nought but a headache that a single exploded view would have avoided. Hopefully the above will help others building these for the first time.

Let me say I really like modushop products. The Pesante is dirt cheap but sturdy. Although the rear panel is steel it is already punched for an IEC connector and a fuse. Most other holes are simple circles. The front panel comes in 4mm or 100mm thicknesses and they'll engrave/drill  it for you from dxf files.

If you want something nearly all aluminium with an aly rear panel then the slightly more expensive Slim Line range is the one to go for. I am just about to try assembling one of those next. It looks a lot simpler to assemble as the sides are aluminium extrusions but you never know!

Cheers

Ian

A product requiring mechanical assembly that is supported by neither instruction or an exploded view is an unsupported product. 

I agree pesante are great for the price but they have one major flaw. The screws for the top and bottom lids are ill matched to the holes. Really badly. You will find out really soon. The slim line doesn't have this issue and they are higher quality overall.

Kingston said:
I agree pesante are great for the price but they have one major flaw. The screws for the top and bottom lids are ill matched to the holes. Really badly. You will find out really soon. The slim line doesn't have this issue and they are higher quality overall.

Doesn't surprise me. Self tappers are a compromise at best. Thanks for the tip. I think I will keep that case for a bench top tube power supply.

Cheers

This shows a pretty clear assembly, no? I used one of these for my Poor Man 670 and don't remember any difficulties. Could've been luck I guess.. ;)

pesante_interno.jpg

More here: http://www.modu.it/pesante.html

Kingston said:
The slim line has another issue though, the rear plate is not enough hard to support well connectors pull and push movements especially if connectors are located near the middle of plate.

keefaz said:
Kingston said:
The slim line has another issue though, the rear plate is not enough hard to support well connectors pull and push movements especially if connectors are located near the middle of plate.

True. I always bolt a 90 degree angle bracket in the middle (side and bottom panels connected) for extra support.

keefaz said:
Kingston said:

Both of these problems drive me nuts.  Reminds me of the Sescom racks over here, which barely hold together, and might not at all after taking them apart for, say, a third time. 

ruffrecords said:
Kingston said:

Doesn't surprise me. Self tappers are a compromise at best.

I have 5 pesante racks boxes (2-3U) and they have not done anything about it ever. Would think after thousands of them out in the field they would have found out at the factory already as well. It takes just one slip and the screw no longer taps well, or at all. I think about half of all my pesante rack box top screws are loose and only there for a show at this point. They could partially fix at the factory by drilling the side panel screw holes with a smaller radius. Or find the right screw for the holes they already have. Maybe those are really hard to find because I certainly can't seem to find a better alternative screw. :(

Nele said:
This shows a pretty clear assembly, no? I used one of these form my Prro Man 670 and don't remeber any diffucluties. Could've been luck I guess.. ;)

Yes mine looks like that now. You see that little gap at each side  of the rear panel. I thought, aha, that's there for a reasone; the rear panel slots ito it - on no it doesn't (sorry, slipped into panto mode there for a moment).

Cheers

Ian

Despite the fact that these cases can be a pain in the ass on first construction, they look a lot more professional than any other cases I have come across.

Nearly $90 shipping to Australia though ::)

Nele said:
This shows a pretty clear assembly, no? I used one of these for my Poor Man 670 and don't remember any difficulties. Could've been luck I guess.. ;)
Haven't had any trouble here either.All my builds are from modushop,from the pesante types down to smallest galaxy models.I had excellent results especially with the pesante dissipante model for my dual 51x psus,like tanks you know.
Self tapping screws going through thin steel are always a bit tricky,most of times the screws are a little weak.No good idea to use brutal force.Giving it some love does the trick. ;)

Best,

Udo.

Hi all,
I just bought a pesante 2u.
What do you use for drilling the holes for the XLRs in the back ?

thanks a lot,

Andreas

If you don't have a large drillpress, use this:

273990.jpg

Yes... it needs a bit of exercise and time, but you can  cut any shape into steel or aluminium with that.
Cutting a 24mm XLR hole into 2mm steel takes about 2-3 minutes with that.

Thats the way I made Front- and Backpanels before I bought a CNC.

...markus

Prompted by this thread, today I put together one of Fran Rollen's new NRG 19 inch rack boxes. It does not come with instructions but I am pleased to say it does not need any. Even I, who is expert at finding all the wrong ways to assemble mechanics, managed to find only one way to do it. Proper threaded inserts, (no self tappers), countersunk screws and optional extras to provide mounting for PCB and tubes. What more could you ask?

Well done Frank.

Cheers

ian

Latest posts

Back