I need a chassis designer / machinist

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcocet

I just finished designing headphone cue mixers and am looking for someone to help me out with a chassis design and fabrication. Right now it's very low quantity (I only need 8 of them) but I'm considering the possibility of offering them commercially, assuming they work out at our place.

All and all it's a pretty easy job but I'm hoping to find someone who can help me make them look nice :)

Feel free to contact me here via pm.

You may want to decide already now if you're going to offer those commercially - designing and then making just 8 boxes will be insanely expensive per-unit.

I would go for a standard type box, and have panels engraved.

For headphone distribution, I'd spend some extra money to get a bully-proof box - they live a tough life being that close to musicians.

Jakob E.

I was trying to, but I'm having a hard time finding a standard box that will work. The boards are aprox 13"x7"x3.5", and everything is mounted to the one board. Do you guys have any good sources I should check out for standard enclosures aside from Hammond?

Well...did you design the board? The cost savings may be worth redesigning the pcb to fit something standard.

However, if you decide to still go the custom design route, shoot me a pm and I can help you with the drawings and such.

Cheers

In CT, RedCo are very good and will make something for you with a simple drawing.

other than par-metal.  in NJ there is:

emachineshop.com and the Godlyke/maxon owner said EVS metals is good.

The side, top/bottom and corner profiles were €100.
So add that to the front and rear panel, which you would have to engrave on an off the shelf enclosure anyway.
A 2u schroff case is €80.

So it's more expensive but can be adapted to your needs and it's very sturdy!
The main reaon why I choose these for 19" cases is because they have no irritating flanges or lids where you don't want them. This one was a racking job for a customer so there was no metalwork left for me to screw up.

For a single pcb with all controls/connectors on one panel, I think i would go for a standard enclosure though...
Since it's a headphone mixer project, I'm guessing you're looking for a desktop case mayne sloped frontpanel? I've seen some nice ones from these vendors:

Metcase
Takachi
Teko
Bopla

might be something here:-
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Cases-Enclosures-Boxes/Instrument-Cases-Enclosures
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Sloping-front-cases-62625

I'm about to embark on a custom artist cue mix system myself and these look the part.

Back