Idea for modular remote controlled Preamp-ADC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_C

Hey guys,
I'm looking into the designing a modular AES Preamp system.
Basically I'm going to be using a digitally controlled preamp (possibly TI PGA2505), and a very clean ADC (to be decided).
The idea revolves around a base unit with 4 AES inputs, and 4 AES outputs, and midi i/o. This would inject DC Phantom power & phantom serial into the 4 AES inputs in order to control remote preamps.
The unit would present itself as a MIDI AVID/Digidesign PRE for remote control through ProTools, and I'm sure I can implement some other standards, or a software interface for them.

The remote preamps would be little stereo boxes as small as possible, providing Phantom Power, and possibly a HPF, Pad, Phase relays.

Ive attached a lovely picture for an overview of what I'm planning. Its still a pretty rough idea. I know how the DC&Serial phantom will work across AES, and it will not degrade the digital signal. I'm not sure how to clock all the ADCs together yet. It may be that I send Clock & DC as phantom, then some sort of serial-wireless interlink to control the preamps (possibly bluetooth, due it its wide support). But that may get complicated.

Is there any interest in something like this? I'm just testing the water on this idea before I develop it further.
Perhaps there is only interest in a remotely powered ADC with some control outputs?

Any thoughts on this?
All feedback is welcome :)

abbey road d enfer said:
Your problem is exactly the same as digital mics. Read about AES42 modes 1 & 2. OTOH you have the option of running WC BNC's for sync.

I just downloaded that spec (I'm an AES member). VERY interesting ...

-a

Latest posts

Back