Interesting mixing technique, ever tried this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ever mixed as a hobby, or as a favor to fellow musicians, and never charged for my services, so my opinion is probably worth very little...

But I tried for some time to mix in stereo, and only ever had success in relatively sparse mixes. For dense rock mixes, I had a hard time making EQ decisions between overlapping instruments when they were moved to opposite sides. Collapsing to mono in a single speaker and re-EQ'ing until the parts could be distinguished worked well, and they stayed distinct after moving back to stereo.

Mixing and balancing in mono, then separating (and final balancing) in stereo was the only workflow that would given predictable, repeatable results.

you'll fit in perfectly around here
Invited folks over to have a solipsist jam. I was the only one who showed up and the reciprocal improvisation was spot on.

Collapsing to mono in a single speaker and re-EQ'ing until the parts could be distinguished worked well, and they stayed distinct after moving back to stereo.
+1 How I've found use as well. Monitor controller must allow quick mono and L-R checks to be of any value, imho.

Latest posts

Back