Introducing: azet

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azet

Hi there,

The intro mail I got asked me to introduce myself. So I will.

My name is Aaron Zauner I go by the handle azet. I live and mostly work in Vienna, Austria/EU. I've been active in the open source community since I've been 15, so almost 20 years now. I've been interested in audio since my late teens and started producing electronic music back then. I always regretted not having learned to play an instrument as a kid but never picked up on it later on apart from playing keyboard a bit. I've gotten interested in learning to play bass or guitar lately - although who knows if I'll follow through. Bought synths, even released a vinyl on a label with a friend 10 years ago. then I've lost interest in collecting records, DJing and producing music for a few years due to other projects and my day job (I work as a self-employed IT Consultant since my early 20ies - worked on HPC systems, did security and cryptography research, datacenter networking, storage, virtualization, classic Linux SysAdmin stuff, worked as a developer for multiple programming languages and projects et cetera). I've always loved music and of course continued to listen to great records of all kinds of genres. Around two years ago I got into mixing, producing and engineering again and was wondering why I ever lost interest. I've since stocked up on my synth collection, started collecting 500 series and outboard gear, proper audio interfaces, patchbays, racks and what you'd expect in a home studio. Since I know how to solder and basic EE from my work and past community projects I quickly got around to looking into 500 series DIY kits and started ordering and building these. I've recently started desiging basic PCBs again after I've not done so for years (and back then with the help of friends in completely audio unrelated fields). JLCPCB shipped my first passive audio summer (dsub25/tascam to xlr/trs combo) a few days ago and it looks nice. I'm currently working on extending it to an active version with opamps. Maybe user-swappable ones in the future. I'm building a small website to sell some extra kits and projects I've built on reverb and offer services for local producers and studio owners that want specific kits or mods built. I didn't even think about that until I got asked one day out of the blue to rent or to make something on request. I thought that may be a good idea to sustain my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome as I'm sure you all know) and in the meantime get to try out some excellent pre amps, EQs, compressors and 500 series components.

If you have any questions let me know. I'd say i'm a beginner to intermediate. I don't hold any EE degrees. My math and physics skills are limited to cryptography related subjects but I can solder decently and know how to use Google. And program if necessary -- though I'm happy if I don't have to do anything that relates to my day job after I come home :)

So yeah. That's me. My personal website is azet with links to GitHub, LinkedIn, Publications, previous Talks etc - but I guess that's of little interest to most of you as It's all related to IT not audio (website for that coming soon, I'm still writing content whenever I find time to do so). You may drop me a line via PM or figure out my email address from the info I supplied in this post.

Have a great day & I'm sure we'll see each other in some threads - probably asking about basics.

Aaron / azet

edit:
first beta prototype of above mentioned PCB (see also attached for parts of my 500 and outboard gear)
IMG_6993 2.JPG IMG_6990.JPG

focusriteisaprodmk2.jpg karacter03.jpg9460676F-95E5-4928-92F1-BDC05B05F38E.jpeg

Attachments

• 500.jpg
    500.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • tubecore01.jpg
    tubecore01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would definitely say you have earned your chops. Welcome to the group. I may need to pick your brains about and integer only FFT sometime in the future.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back