IOaudio Inventor of the parrallel 408a tube configuration in U47 Clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, what brand of tubes did you end up using in the MK-U47s?
I've burnt in and tested about 20 NOS tubes, mostly GEs and WEs (and some Philips), but have yet to find a pair of 408a that  are "low noise" (compared to my C12s and to a Neumann U47).

tonycamp said:
I ended up with bluelines in the MKU's and a K7 in the MK, the reason i stayed with the K7 was because it was dark, rolled off and thicker sounding and is exclusively for kick or bass cab, it sucks on vox and about anything else, but thats ok because it makes 5k down super weighty, i'm going to change the polar pattern to supercardioid pretty quick here to more resemble a 47fet pickup, i also used some brown bean vishays for metal films, NOS beyschlag for carbon resistors, the tranny's are IOaudio's, and I used some hybrid poly/paper in oil coupling and non styroflex polystyrene bypass caps in the mic and supply. The swapping/listening testing of parts is fun to me, and the combinations are almost limitless, so if you have the time and compulsion to do this, i'd suggest keeping a log of the changes you hear over a number of days of living with specific set ups as they can be pretty subtle, then move on and reference back, it's pretty fun and the end results can be totally rewarding. I've done the same with a C12 that is just amazing sounding to me, I've also collected a ton of NOS for my elam pair, including original haufe's, beyschlags, wet tants and a pair of NOS perfect measured and matched 1953 GE 5* red inks, i'll use TC12's in these, i'm super excited about the forthcoming 251's!

Tony...That's really cool to hear. If I may ask you, what brand of tube do you find the quietest? I built a D-47 with the Blueline and a couple PIO caps that another member here suggested and I find the mic quiet also. I ask because I've read more than a few posts about the 408 tubes being noisy regardless of who made them. I have 2 WE NOS tubes in it now and so far so good. It seemed that some of the noise issues a few have had are from a binder connector in the mic of all things...anyway, so far I am with you in that the way I've been able to set this dual 408 configuration up, with the help of one member here specifically, has worked out to where I very much like this mic. So I was curious which ones you've found to be quiet. Thanks so much
Shane

Latest posts

Back