Is anyone still hanging on GS?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

I've been offline from GS for like 8 years now, and boy I'm glad. I was doing some searches on Google and some results included some threads from GS so I clicked on a couple of them, ohhhh man!, aside from the general hostile tone of the forum, the amount of misinformation regarding electronics and even non-technical issues is staggering, the subjectivity of the forum is too much for me, what the hell does "forward sounding" even means?. I guess I am used to this forum were most people are familiar to me and there is (most of the time) a warm tone in the discussions with some very experienced users offering their point of view, even if many of them are now long gone (bcarso, NYDave, Sam Groner, etc... and apparently even PRR as of lately).

P.S. I know bcarso is RIP but does anyone know why NYDave left?

Aside from product release news, that site is generally worthless. It's just a product of the way the internet works, though. Anyone with web access can propagate an opinion masked as fact—and just as many can repeat that opinion until it's accepted as fact.

I go on there just to get a real-feel for how something may be, to help me narrow down the endless options out there; to eventually try myself. I mean with so many people on there and commenting, I can usually get a reading on how people generally feel about a product; even with all the imaginative descriptive words or pure garage.

What I've found out is that many opinions on GS are from people who read about them on GS  ;D recently a friend of mine was describing the sound of whatever microphone brand to me, and he said that they sound great but a bit sibilant. When I asked when did he hear the mic he answered that he read it on GS, also, some of his gear opinions were based on YouTube samples, not knowing how it was recorded, by who, etc... So, you can't really trust what you are reading, many people will only regurgitate what they read on the ads or on GS itself.

If you want to engage on a flame war there is no place like GS.

I usually only visit the geekslutz sub-forum to answer techy queries but even there I find some very argumentative people whose grasp of basic physics is strange to say the least.

Cheers

Ian

They engage very much in forming consensus on the perception, and thereby the public opinion of a given product - in that way they have become a very, very powerful player in the pro audio industry. Don't underestimate this.

Over the years you'll learn who of the regulars you can trust, and who's just full of it

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
They engage very much in forming consensus on the perception, and thereby the public opinion of a given product - in that way they have become a very, very powerful player in the pro audio industry. Don't underestimate this.

Over the years you'll learn who of the regulars you can trust, and who's just full of it

/Jakob E.

The best thing about GS is that you can selectively ignore people so you don't see their posts anymore.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I usually only visit the geekslutz sub-forum to answer techy queries but even there I find some very argumentative people whose grasp of basic physics is strange to say the least.

Cheers

Ian
+1 I drop in on that one sub forum (geekslutz) from time to time to try to keep them honest...

JR

I've gone from a lot to just about zero as the S/N ratio has gotten worse and worse.  There are still some highly knowledgeable people there,  both in the recording and technical side of things.  But the numbers have dwindled as most got tired of the nonsense.  It's a shame really.

Instead of an ignore list, wish there was a non-ignore list,  where you only see posts of people you add.  That might make it worth going back.

Its not like there isnt quality info contained there , you just end up having to wade through a quagmire of crap to get to the good stuff  :D

What I got tired of seeing there was newcomers , hungry for knowledge , being set upon and treated like retards for no reason at all by longstanding members,

I found the willingness of people here in Gdiy to share knowledge the greatest welcome possible.

I will add that as time has gone on, I'm on the PRW forum far more often, but it's far less technical than GroupDIY is and parts of Gearslutz pretends to be. With regards to my post, I suppose it's important to mention that not all opinions masquerading as fact are as terrible as those that appear on Gearslutz. For instance, PRW-regulars Chuck Zwicky and Bill Whitman are quite opinionated but I've never felt that they're doing a disservice to anyone. There's a sort of dangerous ignorance that runs rampant on Gearslutz that I just can't abide anymore.

I still hang there, and started visiting again in the last few months... mostly looking at plugin opinions...I have to mute a TON of people...I mentioned something about acoustic guitars not being respected in modern music recently and a guy went all out flaming me and posted his music as proof people know how to eq guitars...it was all some sort of arabian pop stuff and you couldn't even hear the guitar...guys went on and on praising him for being so "brave" and putting his music where his mouth was, I muted the whole damn lot of them...

Which brings up what I have noticed...the "engineer" moniker at GS seems to have trended to house and trap music...years ago it was predominately a metal scene...but its all beats and DnB and house/trance stuff now...you can do the whole thing with samples so I don't know why these guys think they are engineering anything...

Jules has turned it into a decent little swap meet of bad audio advice where dealers can hawk their wares...

Dave Derr actually uses the feedback...but he's sort of a rebel anyway (His new BigFreq plugin is worth it though)...

I know all of the major audio companies have reps that watch and chime in and release products there...its basically the WalMart of audio forums now...big warehouse full of obese people on electric scooters buying Mountain Dew by the case...

Jules started another forum many years ago for "Dads rights" kind of parenting I think...it was the last time I've had any messages with him.

Nothing like the days when Fletcher or Slipperman were there when it was pure anarchy entertainment with dashes of audio brilliance sprinkled in.

Hello

I don't go there as often as in the past...
Eventually looking at new product to stay "up to date" and sometime geekslutz as some of GDIY fellas.
I still have the forum as one of my "open at startup" in my browser but don't post that many...for all the reasons already mentioned.
I was disgusted some times ago by a topic about Manley history (IIRC) where Ian(ruffrecords) extend some opinions, and his "version" of some things, can't say for the facts but it was polite and civilized as he is always...
This section of the forum is moderated by Eva Manley and all the Ian posts vanished....

This completely break any confidence I could have on this forum

I also start long time ago (when I was a total noob about analog gear) a long "restorartion" tread around my firs 289, later I see picture of my desk I post during this journey on a company web site offering repair, I ask them to remove which never happen, also ask to GS to moderate my posts and remove all pictures as I was unable to modify my old posts...neither happen.

My favourite forum section (where I never go) is the "top ten"
like DAW... is there more than 10 ?
or drum kick mic... I know less than 10 "dedicated" kick mic...
;D

Best
Zam

gs seems to be as much a fad as their flavor of the month gear. For a while it was the place to be and I never signed up. Then it fell out of fashion much like  gear over there.  I watched a lot of you have to have "insert gear product here", it's the only way to make a record or it's the best and so on and so on. Then  by the time some folks could afford it and were proud they got it, then it would be why did you by "insert gear product here", it's sucks, or any number of other descriptions. I watched a lot of opinions fly over there and very few I would consider worth listening to. In the end it wasn't worth it. few places have been. Our little group of folks has been great. Our Forum has been legit, we can back it all up with facts, we know what is up. We may disagree about how to run a country but even then we do it in a civilized manor. I can't  think of a better forum on the net about audio and electronics and beyond. 
Stay safe and be well.

The mastering forum has a better S/N ratio than the other forums. I don’t read most of the topics. Some are good. I don’t mind the ones when all hell breaks loose either. It makes me count my blessings. The forum is a business and run like one. Anything that might negatively affect the bottom line is vanquished.

user 37518 said:
(bcarso, NYDave, Sam Groner, etc... and apparently even PRR as of lately).

P.S. I know bcarso is RIP but does anyone know why NYDave left?

Unfortunately this community also seems to be affected by gearsluts behaviour's in the last years. 
The tone is definitely not as warm, objective and helpful as it was before.

All the politics discussions here in the brewery are part of the problem, since people just get out of a brewery thread infuriated and enter the lab or other threads and take that negative emotion with them.
Some say that you can just ignore the stupid threads in the brewery but reality is the tone in those dicussions spread to all sections of the forum. It's a cancer.
But that's just one of the problems....

NyDave as fas as I know passed away some years ago. If this is not correct please correct me

PRR leaving is also a tremendous loss to this forum, he was an huge help in the lab and development sections.
It's hard to find such a knowledgable person that is able to explain technical stuff in stuff a clear and detailed way. He also has a brilliant intelligent humour.
He was always really helpful and a gentleman to me and others over the years and this forum is much poorer without him.

He left for reasons I totally understand.
The quality of the forum was already decreasing before he left and now it's even worse.

Latest posts

Back