Is groupdiy.com a closed society?

Help Support GroupDIY:

Dualflip

squarewave said:
Fixing all of the stuff that people so frivolously through away must be a good business for some "dirt poor" person in a third world country where people don't even know what PayPal is.

I doubt that someone with internet and electronics knowledge doesn't know what PayPal is, really, PayPal is mostly universal. Perhaps we should start with what you refer to as "third world" country. My country could be considered a third world country by some (Mexico), which BTW is the 15th largest economy in the world just below Australia so I actually think of it more like 2nd world but whatever, my point is that Somalia can also fit the "third world" category and to me there is a big difference. Furthermore, how many active, participating members have you seen around here from countries that poor? Of course, not everyone has their location under their nickname, but still....

Anyone can read the threads in this forum, its only if they want to participate that they have to donate $1. That seems quite fair to me.

ruffrecords said:
It should not be that way and I for one would certainly pay a $10 annual membership. Maybe we should make it a little more exclusive?

Cheers

Ian

Count me in! I think that is a great idea and I would gladly pay the $10 annual membership. Perhaps very experienced members like PRR (MIA), CJ, obviously the admins JR, abbey and others, don't have to pay, but the rest have to.

Bo Deadly

abbey road d enfer said:
What are you willing to pay for this improvement?
I gave $20 once. And it seems to me I help the newbs with boring "help me fix this" type of problems a little more than most. What's my time worth?

Right now Ethan is trying to correlate PayPal payments with new memberships? I would think doing what I suggested would be a LOT easier in the long term. From a quick glance at the SMF mods it looks like it's possible to automatically put new members in a particular group and then make it so that that group can only post in one board without any links or images and limited to 1000 characters. That might be doable with just mods and it should filter out the really nasty stuff. Call it "The DMZ" and put a pinned post in all caps that says "NEW MEMBER REQUIREMENTS <<< READ THIS" and explain that they need to post something to prove that they're not a spammer. Then it would be the responsibility of me and the other members to reply to the posts with either an answer to their question or signal the moderators that it's spam. Once in a while a moderator goes through and either removes the member from the "DMZ" group allowing them to post on other boards or deletes the account and everything derived from it.

But hey, it's your website. I just procrastinate here.

ruffrecords

Dualflip said:
Count me in! I think that is a great idea and I would gladly pay the $10 annual membership. Perhaps very experienced members like PRR (MIA), CJ, obviously the admins JR, abbey and others, don't have to pay, but the rest have to.

OK, I read every day in the newspaper how many billions of pounds UK folk have lying around unspent because of Covid. So let's put it to some good use. Instead of spending an evening in the pub, why not donate that money to GDIY?

I'll start the ball rolling with $50.

Cheers

Ian

matriachamplification

My family are for the $1 donation and had touched base with Ethan over a year ago regarding Fundrasiers for Group DIY and was given some great feedback. Basically it would be up to the GDIY community to participate, if they wished to.

We started then with a Hot Sauce giveaway (which we are stil doing and will update today) and other growing initiatives with the intention of giving a percentage of the funds raised back to Ethan and GDIY. Of course the virus put a hold on everything.

I have not spoken to Ethan about a GDIY t-shirt to help raise funds, but since reading some of the comments on this thread, today we decided to simply do it.

Each t-shirt sold we can donate $3 to GDIY. I will add this to our website for tomorrow.

I guess, we see GDIY as a free $30,000 + education and feel strongly that we are in a position to contribute our personal annual donation as well as mobalizing other ideas to raise funds.

We realized that we never stated any initiative we do is essentially a fundrasier for GDIY as well as giveaways that I curate

Erica Synths has donated 3 x Polivoks DIY kits worth $700'ish cad to add to our annual audio awards as a prize. And there are many other manufactureres we are working with.

Yes, this is a lot of work on our end and because I am not able to help others to build, I can help GDIY. We love this community and simply are in a position to help give back.

Sorry to rant... but the idea that $1 being a hurdle is a bit hard to swallow.

Attachments

• unisex-heavy-cotton-tee.jpg
    unisex-heavy-cotton-tee.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6

matriachamplification

ruffrecords said:
OK, I read every day in the newspaper how many billions of pounds UK folk have lying around unspent because of Covid. So let's put it to some good use. Instead of spending an evening in the pub, why not donate that money to GDIY?

I'll start the ball rolling with $50.

Cheers

Ian

I will match that $50.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Thank you for contributions, I haven't even been able to get Ethan to move the donate button up into a more prominent location (like on top of the page).
======
On the subject of making this a paid site... I will cast my vote as a strong NO. It is already bad enough with people complaining about the free advice they get. If this becomes a paid advice forum, I can imagine even more demanding requests.

In case I wasn't clear I vote NO to making this a paid forum.

JR

matriachamplification

We have had the polar opposite experience running our annual events in the past. The ones we ran for free we had people complaining and the paid events we got nothing but praise.

In regards to changing GDIY into a paid members site, I am indifferent as I am relatively new to this site. I can imagine there would be backlash to make GDIY a paid membership site.

Dualflip

JohnRoberts said:
It is already bad enough with people complaining about the free advice they get. If this becomes a paid advice forum, I can imagine even more demanding requests.

In case I wasn't clear I vote NO to making this a paid forum.

JR

HAHAHAHAHAHA ohh John I can listen to the pain behind your words.

rock soderstrom

Bee with temporary limited flying abilities
Ethan said:
I say all that to say, I think everyone will be happy with the progress we’ll see in the next few days.

Thanks for your work Ethan!

abbey road d enfer

Dualflip said:
Perhaps very experienced members like PRR (MIA), CJ, obviously the admins JR, abbey and others, don't have to pay, but the rest have to.
No exceptions! All three mods do occasional donations.
If we didn't, some members would understand that as us being employees, and as such being obliged to be polite!  ;)

Dualflip

abbey road d enfer said:
No exceptions! All three mods do occasional donations.
If we didn't, some members would understand that as us being employees, and as such being obliged to be polite!  ;)

Abbey, I wasn't refering to the donations, I was refering to the alleged annual membership.

jacomart

squarewave said:
Using PayPal is a problem because it assumes that someone either has a PP account or a credit card.

May be one of the problems is that many people (myself included) use different emails for Paypal. Perhaps in the donation process may be asked to associate the nick used during registration, however this does not eliminate a demanding manual screening nor the possibility of errors or omissions of the new member...

Cheers
JM

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Angie is working on a new sign up procedure that eliminates the requirement for paypal donations, so that part of this question is now moot.

I repeat that I do not want to suggest any kind of quid pro quo for design advice here.

JR

Angie

Administrator
Admin
We are still working on the donate button. It should be back at some point during the day. That will be for any donation you wish to make.

innercityman

Anyone can read the threads in this forum, its only if they want to participate that they have to donate $1. That seems quite fair to me.

True, but you can't see pictures when not logged in. When I subscribed to groupdiy few years ago, photos helped me a lot, and even now.

My opinion is that 1$ donation is quite honest. Like Ian, I'd be ready to pay an annual 10$ or something, because groupdiy is just the Audio holly bible to me. Everything I learned, and I'm aware that I still have a lot to learn, I've learned it there.

Latest posts