Is the Elam 251 a dead project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel S

Hi all,
I would like to build an Elam 251 clone but I can’t get responses from either Tim Campbell, Haun, vintagemicrophonepcbkit or Chunger about capsules, bodies or pcbs.
I know there are the Microphone parts kits and Mic&Mod is in Europe but they don’t seem as much high quality and I would really love it to be at least partially p2p.
The only alternative for me is the AMI C12 kit but without an upgraded capsule I don’t find it that much appealing, considering customs and shipping costs. I would really like to build a 251.

Is there anyone who successfully completed a build recently or is it a dead project?

I think supply line bottlenecks are inhibiting many products now. Tim is certainly active, but may not have materials.

Don't expect quick replies from any of these suppliers. They are all reliable but get flooded with questions, product inquires and purchases and are single person operations. In waiting for mic components, it is never easy to be patient; but Dany, Tim, etc are worth waiting for.

I built my 251 with a Beesneez body. If you don't mind a heavy mic, their 251 body is great.

FYI, Moby just started supplying T14s.

I would really like to use a Beesneez body as I like often overlooked topics and body acoustics is certainly one of them. More than 800$ including shipping and customs seems simply unreasonable for me tho, especially because there's no real comparison/evidence their body is actually acoustically "right". I red discussions about capsule mounting here too, I came to the conclusion that I'll have to settle for what comes out and just enjoy a superior mic compared to what I could afford otherwise, I can't become an experienced microphone builder although I already have some diy project under my belt. It would be the first p2p and first tube build tho.

I didn't understand if the AMI kit has a better body than Apex/Alctron, the looks seem identical to me.

Didn't know about Moby, do you guys recognize it as a better alternative to AMI?

Didn't know about Moby, do you guys recognize it as a better alternative to AMI?
No. Kind of like when you're in the Beesneez-Theirsch-Tim Campbell-etc range with capsules, one isn't better than the other. Personal taste and availability are big reasons to look at one vs the other.

All I can tell you is that I compared Moby's Neumann transformers to others and preferred them. That could be because of my capsule choice, my tube choice or just what I like to hear in a transformer.

Also, with Beesneez, they used to do an end-of-year sale and occasionally deals for DIYers. They haven't done either since the pandemic started though. No idea if they'll do it again.

Thanks for a nice words guys. I try to do my best ;) Regarding the body option I will certanly proceed with Flea. It's expensive, but really exelent crafted. Their body replicas are the real clones built with the great materal selection and the desired precision.

Don't think its dead, they are just busy, and then there's the covid/logistics situation...Some patience is required lol.
I just finished Mata/Chung C12/251 builds that I started back in February, so that may give you an idea of the wait time. Tim's capsules were the last parts to get in my hands, but I can say the long wait was worth it, they do live to the hype. I would say the generic alctron bodies are another part you might have a hard time sourcing now, unless you get one of the Aphex tube mics and modify that, I know Chung doesn't have stock, and Alctron only seems to fit them in their production schedule ocassionaly over the year. I started the C12 build with one of the cheap asian k67 end terminated capsules, and mind you, it actually sounded reasonable.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thank you so much for the replies, I’ve asked Flea and the price is higher than Beesneez plus it’s a C12 and not a 251 body, if going the non Alctron way I would go Beesneez at this point, too bad I can’t support a European company.
At this point I’ll likely wait for Tim Campbell and vintagemicrophonepcbkit to reply and see if Chungers restocks as well in the next months.

TLRT, are your boards 251 or C12? Any info on compatibility with the mentioned donor bodies?

Hi guys, thank you so much for the replies, I’ve asked Flea and the price is higher than Beesneez plus it’s a C12 and not a 251 body, if going the non Alctron way I would go Beesneez at this point, too bad I can’t support a European company.
At this point I’ll likely wait for Tim Campbell and vintagemicrophonepcbkit to reply and see if Chungers restocks as well in the next months.

TLRT, are your boards 251 or C12? Any info on compatibility with the mentioned donor bodies?
The boards are universal,you can do both circuits

Attachments

• elams.jpg
    elams.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 202

Latest posts

Back