Is there a way to identify if some metal is mumetal ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Question as above.

I have recently dismantled a dead mains transformer that came from an API lunchbox I repaired.    The torroid is wrapped in a length of metal sheet for screening.  Since it's a mains transformer is it likely to be mumetal ? My hunch is probably not, but if it was it would be useful because I have a job for it.

Perhaps an open coil guitar pickup in a noisy room could reveal shielding properties of unknown metal...

I am not aware of metals other than mu metal used inside transformers, but I am not a transformer guy either.  I have seen copper wrapped around the outside of a transformer as a shorting turn.

JR

Slenderchap said:
Possibly a GOSS band.... Grain Oriented Silicon Steel.... you can happily bend that... MuMetal does not like being deformed after processing.

This is a long 3" wide strip of metal that is fairly thin & quite springy that was wrapped round the outside of the torroid.  I haven't tried bending it, as in making a permanent fold.

JohnRoberts said:
Perhaps an open coil guitar pickup in a noisy room could reveal shielding properties of unknown metal...

I am not aware of metals other than mu metal used inside transformers, but I am not a transformer guy either.  I have seen copper wrapped around the outside of a transformer as a shorting turn.

JR

I guess I will have to experiment in the way that you say.

Slenderchap said:
Possibly a GOSS band.... Grain Oriented Silicon Steel.... you can happily bend that... MuMetal does not like being deformed after processing.
There are some grades of "MuMetal" that can be bent and supposedly retain their magnetic properties.
https://www.aaronia.com/products/shielding-screening/Magnetic-Shielding-foil-Magno-Shield-FLEX/
I don't think they are as efficient as real annealed MUMetal.

you need the Bruker Alloy tester:

"Handheld and portable Bruker XRF analyzers offer unmatchable metal identification, engineered for ease of use, accuracy, and reliable elemental analysis. See where fit, form, and function all intersect with our metal sorter instruments. Designed for the most demanding customer applications, our rock-solid analytical tools offer fast, precise, nondestructive solutions for alloy identification.

The Bruker S1 TITAN portable XRF analyzer makes metal analysis easier than ever before. A lightweight, mobile alloy analyzer leads the way in performing crucial tasks, such as:

Designed for nearly any weather condition, field environment, and location, both the S1 TITAN will give you reliable results in seconds. A Bruker metal tester saves significant expenses in comparison with traditional laboratory testing. The S1 TITAN model 200 & 300 can detect elements Ti through U. The TITAN model 600 & 800 can analyze elements Mg through U on the periodic table. With shorter measurement times and superior detection limits, our handheld XRF analyzers increase your productivity. For our thousands customers around the world, a Bruker metal analyzer offers a higher profit potential and lower long-term ownership costs."

or just use a pair of tin sips and cut some of the metal if the edge cuts your hands to ribbons just by looking at it, then it is mu metal.

Attachments

• b.png
    b.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 15
CJ said:
you need the Bruker Alloy tester:

"Handheld and portable Bruker XRF analyzers offer unmatchable metal identification, engineered for ease of use, accuracy, and reliable elemental analysis. See where fit, form, and function all intersect with our metal sorter instruments. Designed for the most demanding customer applications, our rock-solid analytical tools offer fast, precise, nondestructive solutions for alloy identification.

The Bruker S1 TITAN portable XRF analyzer makes metal analysis easier than ever before. A lightweight, mobile alloy analyzer leads the way in performing crucial tasks, such as:

Designed for nearly any weather condition, field environment, and location, both the S1 TITAN will give you reliable results in seconds. A Bruker metal tester saves significant expenses in comparison with traditional laboratory testing. The S1 TITAN model 200 & 300 can detect elements Ti through U. The TITAN model 600 & 800 can analyze elements Mg through U on the periodic table. With shorter measurement times and superior detection limits, our handheld XRF analyzers increase your productivity. For our thousands customers around the world, a Bruker metal analyzer offers a higher profit potential and lower long-term ownership costs."

or just use a pair of tin sips and cut some of the metal if the edge cuts your hands to ribbons just by looking at it, then it is mu metal.

Thanks CJ.  Don't think I'll be buying the metal analyser anytime soon. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bruker-S1-Titan-LE-Handheld-XRF-Spectrometer-Portable-X-Ray-Analyzer-Thermo-GE/264317448790?hash=item3d8a8c3256:g:yDUAAOSwZ75c1aKG&frcectupt=true

The metal is pretty sharp looking. 

Latest posts

Back