Is there an easy way to "listen" to space ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there available sensors, to then translate the appropriate wavelengths into sound ?
I have a feeling the atmosphere will filter too much.....and I may be stuck with listening to a filtered wavelength, plus all the bounced chatter under the stratosphere or mesosphere.

> sensors, to then translate the appropriate wavelengths into sound ?

It is called "a radio".

Some of the hash you hear between stations on broadcast bands comes from outer space. (Yes, much more is skip from Deluth or Quebec, broadcast or just lightning.)

AFAIK, the main thing you hear from outer space is random noise. There are few "interesting sounds", and a lot of random sounds, so it's mostly hiss.

Focusing on something "interesting", like quasars, is probably more antenna than you can fit in your yard, and your yard ought to be far outside the city.

There's lots of nearer stuff you can pick up with any short-wave radio. Sun-spot crackles. Twisted ionosphere causes "whistlers". Auroras make noises. I'm not sure how much sky-hook and how good a radio you need to pick these out from the hash of civilization.

Nearly all the many artificial satellites transmit something. Researching satellites will find their frequencies. The DirectTV satts are easy because you can look-up aiming instructions. They are on a high frequency so you need a fancy radio, and are totally encrypted so you just get "hash", but it's Outer Space (close enuff for me).

Long ago, radio amateurs bounced signal off the Moon, with quite low frequency (400MHz??) and coiled brake-line antenna. You shouldn't transmit without the license, of course. (But you no longer need to learn Code.)

Odds are that many advanced sky-listeners have posted MP3s of stuff they've found. That would give you a lot more "tunes" in less time than starting your own ski safari.

If you can see Mars, aim your antenna there on Friday night, they broadcast a Top 40 show.

Back