It’s a generational thing rant.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pucho812

showed one of the newer personal how to clean faders. I had to as it’s part their job and they claimed to have done a million times but had no idea what to do.
Set them off on a task of cleaning faders along side moi. Large desk, lots to do, a second set of hands is appreciated.
What followed was a 😬 moment.
First he sets up his cell phone as he wants to film it for Instagram in a time lapse video. Took him some 15-20 minutes of trying to get his cellphone to not fall over as he didn’t have a stand. so he kept trying to balance it. I asked to not be filmed but he said he was going to do it anyway. While that is going on, I am getting the desk situated to remove every fader for cleaning. By the time he is ready to go in and work, I had already started in on faders
He proceeds to rush through the process as if it was a race. When he proclaimed how he was finished with his half in record time. He followed it by making a wisecrack about me taking longer. I only had 9 more faders then he did as I had vca and the stereo bus fader as well. When I finished my faders. There was a huge night and day difference. Mine looked like you could eat off them. His still had crumbs, dust and other debris in the top of the fader, the rubber dust cover part. When I pointed it out to him, he got mad and tried to challenge my claim of they are still dirty. I pointed to the very first one I saw and how I can see a giant crumb from a potato chip right there. You need to do it again. He scoffed by saying the faders felt fine. Maybe, but they look like shit. Reluctantly he did it again.

This must be a generational thing, how the difference in age sets tone for work. I can only assume that to be the case. The middle age tech just wants to get in, do the job correctly, test the aftermath and go home when completed. The younger “tech” wants to look cool and say they are doing this tech work, but often times will do sub-par work and want to leave even if not 100%. Worse is wanting to leave because it’s quitting time even if the days work is not finished.

Last edited:
good luck to you and him.... The real world is not that generous....

[edit- sadly this is more than just a typical younger generation rant. It appears they have been taught to be dysfunctional on purpose. Their top aspirational goal is to become an "influencer". Not sure what that means, but I think it may mean being paid for being cool and doing nothing. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
I think a lot of the younger generation are taught to feel "entitled".

Cheers

Ian
Yeah it appears so. Not to mention growing up before we had the ability to broadcast every nuance of life to the world.
good luck to you and him.... The real world is not that generous....

JR
Tell me about it. When hired, you best deliver the work at the standards expected or else what’s the point. My work meets expectations, but I am not one to be in cruise control. Sadly I am in no position to correct said issues or terminate their employment

Last edited:
making a wisecrack about me taking longer
It of course would be awesome if he had done them up to par as well but, too bad. It can be frustrating to be slow at something but I usually tell guys to utilize their current skill sets at efficient speed and all the craft stuff will catch up later.
Crazy when people will drag their feet when going to grab a tool or something when walking briskly is one of the few skill sets they can show off.

It of course would be awesome if he had done them up to par as well but, too bad. It can be frustrating to be slow at something but I usually tell guys to utilize their current skill sets at efficient speed and all the craft stuff will catch up later.
Crazy when people will drag their feet when going to grab a tool or something when walking briskly is one of the few skill sets they can show off.
Well I look it at like this. There is but one way to clean a fader. If you do it right, it will take as long as I take on each one as I am fast but throrough. If your lapping me on the race track of desk maintenance, they you cut corners. Which was easily proven here. When I catch you doing that, I’ll point out what was missed and have you go again. There is no response to this other then, ok and it followed by doing it right. Any other response is not allowed unless there is a question about the correct way followed by doing it the correct way.

I think a lot of the younger generation are taught to feel "entitled".

Cheers

Ian

Don't get me started on this.

In my former modelmaking business I once brought in some freelance workers. Their CVs stated 5 years of modelmaking experience. It turned out four years of which was spent on education. One of them refused to do the task I gave by saying she would only do certain things. When I told her that if she did not do it then she would not be getting paid, she said the fact that she clocked in in the morning, she would expect to get paid when she clocked out even if she did not do anything. She was of course "ooot the door" the next day.

Its obvious the guy seemed to be more interested in being seen to do the job(via social media) that actually doing it . If he then responds with attitude where he's told he hasnt done it properly on his first ever job for you , your destined to be double checking this guys work because you can trust him .
Tell him if you cant trust his work with important equimpent ,you'll need to find simpler jobs he can actually complete that arent mission critical . Set him up with a few more menial tasks ,then review performance again , if he still doesnt show the right attitude ,bring him down another peg and tell him clean up the bathrooms at which point he'll most likely start screeching loudly about it not being part of the job description . You can at least tell the boss a pattern emerged in the guys abillity to perform simple tasks .

It goes beyond entitlement. The Great Coddling of recent generations makes them unable to accept reasonable criticism no matter how mild. Teasing and verbal jabs amongst friends is right out. With some notable exceptions I found it difficult to work with them, too.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."
--G. Michael Hopf

Its obvious the guy seemed to be more interested in being seen to do the job(via social media) that actually doing it . If he then responds with attitude where he's told he hasnt done it properly on his first ever job for you , your destined to be double checking this guys work because you can trust him .
Tell him if you cant trust his work with important equimpent ,you'll need to find simpler jobs he can actually complete that arent mission critical . Set him up with a few more menial tasks ,then review performance again , if he still doesnt show the right attitude ,bring him down another peg and tell him clean up the bathrooms at which point he'll most likely start screeching loudly about it not being part of the job description . You can at least tell the boss a pattern emerged in the guys abillity to perform simple tasks .
Yes...
It goes beyond entitlement. The Great Coddling of recent generations makes them unable to accept reasonable criticism no matter how mild. Teasing and verbal jabs amongst friends is right out. With some notable exceptions I found it difficult to work with them, too.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."
--G. Michael Hopf
Yes.

Absolutely. They can be very militant and vicious in their perceived entitlement too. I am sure you know what is happening particularly in higher education now. People are terrorised out of their jobs.

My sister's teaching contract at a (private) university was recently terminated for a reason that she shouts at the students for reasons ranging from asking them to come off their mobile phones during the lecture to how the hell they made to the second year in architecture degree course when they do not know the difference between a triangle and pyramid. I am not joking with the latter. You can of course guess which part of the students the complaints came from.

1665398072836.png

I work with a couple younger guys straight from university, all very motivated and eager to learn and improve. I also have to deal with several customers, old geezers in the purchasing departments who just punch in and out, doing the bare minimum waiting for retirement. Is it a generational thing?

I work with a couple younger guys straight from university, all very motivated and eager to learn and improve. I also have to deal with several customers, old geezers in the purchasing departments who just punch in and out, doing the bare minimum waiting for retirement. Is it a generational thing?
I'm not sure this phenomenon has spread to Europe. It has been on the increase in the US the past couple of decades. We aren't talking about the usual 5-10% of lazy employees that are found anywhere you work. And there are many exceptions. Still the trend is obvious.

Absolutely. They can be very militant and vicious in their perceived entitlement too. I am sure you know what is happening particularly in higher education now. People are terrorised out of their jobs.
In the tech sector it is spreading. At least on the west coast where I spent most of my career.
My sister's teaching contract at a (private) university was recently terminated for a reason that she shouts at the students for reasons ranging from asking them to come off their mobile phones during the lecture to how the hell they made to the second year in architecture degree course when they do not know the difference between a triangle and pyramid. I am not joking with the latter. You can of course guess which part of the students the complaints came from.
I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It really is out of control.

I resemble that cartoon... ;)
Slackers have been with us forever, recall Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper.

There does seem to be a qualitative difference in modern youth today while there has always been tension.

Employees should be trying to get likes from their boss, and boss's boss, not random internet pukes. When did internet influencer become a career goal?

JR

Sorry to hear, but that kind of talk, behavior and their reaction to it is common in modern teaching. How dare the teacher question a student in any capacity. If you ask me, the people in charge are doing harm to the student by allowing such behavior and punishing those who try and stop it. Students are there to learn.
I resemble that cartoon... ;)

Slackers have been with us forever, recall Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper.

There does seem to be a qualitative difference in modern youth today while there has always been tension.

Employees should be trying to get likes from their boss, and boss's boss, not random internet pukes. When did internet influencer become a career goal?

JR
Ah yes the influencer word. I wasn’t making that connection at first but could be. The idea of the influencer to the non motivated is that of a sweet deal. The influencer gets to go places and show off this wonderful lifestyle that is very posh and carefree. Basically they believe the influencer by name alone gets it all for free.

Here is how you handle influencers

https://www.entrepreneur.com/scienc...cly-shames-social-media-influencer-for/307763

The brewery seems a step closer to parody with each visit these days

https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-people-complaining-about-the-younger-generation/
Fwiw, the lad wanting to record the job on his phone sounds like an idiot.
I suspect the immaturity and inexperience of young people has long been a topic of criticism from the elders. The complaint this thread is about seems different.

I recall once seeing a young redneck dumbass driving crazy with his dad's new pickup truck, burning rubber and screeching the tires. He was driving much too fast for the narrow back roads (actually downtown Hickory, but still narrow streets). He ended up rolling it over into a ditch near the city line. He wasn't hurt as the bunch of onlookers that he attracted helped pull him out through the cab's back window. I bet his father took him out behind the wood shed and gave him a well deserved experience.

JR

I would think that with all the combined years of knowledge and experience present in this thread that there would be a bit more wisdom but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back