Jazz recording tonight with all my DIY stuff!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the Sax "version" of an A/B path system. In the attached pic, the upper left and right sections are duplicate EQ systems that can be selected. As far as the limiters go, there are only a total of four, so there isn't A/B selection....just in the path or not.

The Sontecs were added after the system was installed here, so they are A/B switchable.

Bri

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    976.8 KB · Views: 1
Recording gear and playback gear are better not to be compared as their purpose is different (recording is a creative process, playback is a passive process).

As you are recording you want to get a certain sound or try to grasp the moment of the happening and conserve this. With playback you try to retrieve this the best possible way in case you care about quality (this can be creative in case you are building/modifying/tweaking audio systems but this is a different hobby).

Here a good explanation of the difference in playback and recording plus the dynamic range of 16 and 24 bit. And what is sufficient for playback.

“96dB something dynamic range properly used is more then enough for any recording i can think of”

Last edited:
Over Vinyl was for sure,
Less noise, less distortion, broader bandwidth (20hz-20khz), much less technical and creative limitations, doesn’t degrade de quality over multiple usages.
Our ear can hear much more than what Vinyl is able to put out.

Vinyl sounded pretty bad at the time, and it even sounds worse nowadays.

I do a lot of Mastering, it’s actually one of my main services.
It’s horrendous how much worse the Vinyl sounds (end product) compared to the digital pre-master I send to the factory.

I understand that it’s a beautiful package, Album Covers look great on the Vinyl size, I also understand the nostalgia effect. But all of that has nothing to do with audio quality, it’s a format full of technical limitations (Facts) that limit it’s sound quality.

Saying this I totally respect of some people like to listen music in Lo-Fi, that’s subjective and a matter of taste
I don't care about specs. They're highly overrated. By your standard FM is inferior and you would be right. For casual listening and kids CD is fine but they listen to mp3s. But Red Book is by no means superb. It ruins orchestral violin textures and makes them sound like they're fighting. Look - I lived through the mono period, the stereo start, color TV, 8 tracks, cassettes, early CDs then SACDs now streaming. I know what I hear even at my age.

Here a good explanation of the difference in playback and recording plus the dynamic range of 16 and 24 bit. And what is sufficient for playback.

“96dB something dynamic range properly used is more then enough for any recording i can think of”

I agree with Paul about high sampling rates. What I don't agree with is thinking the bit depth only reflects dynamic range. It also provide a much finer gradation between bit samples. "16 bit provides each sample with 65,536 possible amplitude values. 24 bit provides each sample with 16,777,216 possible amplitude values."

It's also easier to mix in the box. When combined with a high sample rate it's much closer to analogue. When it gets crunched down to 16 bits it has a fighting chance to sounds better.

But then there's everything else in the chain from the performance to the listener-mics, pre's, A-D., op amps, mastering, errors, jitter, DACs, etc etc. Everything has some effect on the sound. Again, no absolute comparisons available in this discussion.

If cd's sound superb to everyone no one would have created higher sample rates and bit depth. And billions of dollars would be saved - and sent to me. Address available on request.

But Red Book is by no means superb. It ruins orchestral violin textures and makes them sound like they're fighting.

That's hilarious, I record and recorded a lot of orchestras also separated Violins , or in a small ensemble.
Violins sound great recorded at 24bit 44.1khz, and sound great also when it's then mastered for 16bit 44,1khz to go in a CD.
Sound pretty dam good.

Do you know where Violins have no chance of sounding good at all?
In a crappy plastic disc called Vinyl, they sound so much worse than how the violin sounded in the room, and much worse than what the Violin sounds on 24bit 44.1khz.

I don't have any problems in saying once more, Vinyl always sounded shit and still sounds shit.
It was never chosen because it was a quality format for music, it was chosen because it was very cheap and fast to produce.

Look - I lived through the mono period, the stereo start, color TV, 8 tracks, cassettes, early CDs then SACDs now streaming. I know what I hear even at my age.

Well if you lived through the mono period (30s,40s,50s) and saw the change to stereo then you should have more than 70 years old.

You are entitled to think you know whatever you want , but I personally don't trust any of your judgments or opinions based on your hearing diminished capabilities.

"Many older people with high frequency hearing loss​

The prevalence of hearing loss increased with age at all frequencies for both men and women.

Among participants aged 60 – 69, 42.7% had a hearing loss at 3000 Hz, 54.3% at 4000 Hz and 79.5% at 6000 Hz.
Among the participants 70 years or older, the figures were 70.7% at 3000 Hz, 78.4% at 4000 Hz and 93.2% at 6000 Hz.

For the participants aged 39 or younger in the study, the prevalence of a high frequency hearing loss was very low."

https://www.hear-it.org/many-seniors-have-high-frequency-hearing-loss

Friends (mainly musicians that i know) who admit to have hearing loss and/or tinnitus have still the ability to hear differences in quality of a recording. I think that dynamic range and distortion can be noticed on vinyl (especially with violins and choirs, see attached images). There are no issues with any complex signal when playing a red book cd (avoid cheap over/up-samplers). Individual voices of the choirs recorded on these can be heard with ease....

Attachments

• Misa Criolla.jpg
    Misa Criolla.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Weinberg.jpg
    Weinberg.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's hilarious, I record and recorded a lot of orchestras also separated Violins , or in a small ensemble.
Violins sound great recorded at 24bit 44.1khz, and sound great also when it's then mastered for 16bit 44,1khz to go in a CD.
Sound pretty dam good.

Do you know where Violins have no chance of sounding good at all?
In a crappy plastic disc called Vinyl, they sound so much worse than how the violin sounded in the room, and much worse than what the Violin sounds on 24bit 44.1khz.

I don't have any problems in saying once more, Vinyl always sounded shit and still sounds shit.
It was never chosen because it was a quality format for music, it was chosen because it was very cheap and fast to produce.

Well if you lived through the mono period (30s,40s,50s) and saw the change to stereo then you should have more than 70 years old.

You are entitled to think you know whatever you want , but I personally don't trust any of your judgments or opinions based on your hearing diminished capabilities.

"Many older people with high frequency hearing loss​

The prevalence of hearing loss increased with age at all frequencies for both men and women.

Among participants aged 60 – 69, 42.7% had a hearing loss at 3000 Hz, 54.3% at 4000 Hz and 79.5% at 6000 Hz.
Among the participants 70 years or older, the figures were 70.7% at 3000 Hz, 78.4% at 4000 Hz and 93.2% at 6000 Hz.

For the participants aged 39 or younger in the study, the prevalence of a high frequency hearing loss was very low."

https://www.hear-it.org/many-seniors-have-high-frequency-hearing-loss
You don't know me and your arrogance and insulting tone don't belong here. IF you live to be my age, and that's a big IF, you may start to appreciate other's points of view.

You don't know me and your arrogance and insulting tone don't belong here. IF you live to be my age, and that's a big IF, you may start to appreciate other's points of view.

No arrogance whatsoever that’s your wrong interpretation.
What I said it’s my opinion and what I find it’s true.

As for hearing loss with age that’s a fact, Im not saying anything that It’s not well proven.

I don’t have to appreciate your point of view at all, I can respect it and that’s it, I will have no appreciation whatsoever to someone that will defend Vinyl as a quality audio format when it’s not. And I find that saying a violin doesn’t sound good on a CD it’s my opinion that it’s something absurd to say, you are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine.

You also don’t know me and don’t know that I work professionally everyday in audio, being it recording, mixing and mastering.

I truly wish you a long and healthy life and yes I would love for sure to reach your age, but something that I will not do at any age will be to get stock in old school mentalities and not constantly developing my skills and I will for sure embrace new technologies and understand the improvements that are made everyday

Last edited:
Geez Brian, that certainly is a beautiful rig....if you built some of it, you should certainly be very proud ! It must sound great!!!
I am 70 years old and treasure the old school ways...miss my 2" 16 tk Scully at 30ips but still have my ag440 b with 1/2" headstock and a 30ips capstan. adapter...but time marches on
CLOSE ENOUGH FOR JAZZ BABY

Latest posts

Back