Jensen JT-DB-E in reverse as a mic input?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C12VR

Would this Jensen direct box transformer perform well as a 1:12 mic input for a tube preamp? I read in a 1977 catalog that the primary (12 side) has high inductance, but is the inductance at 20hz on the secondary side likely good enough for linear performance when used in reverse? I remember reading that someone here used this transformer for this exact application; hopefully, one of you active members can give some practical advice.
Thanks!

data: https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jt-db-e.pdf

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd just try it and see before spending too much time thinking about it. You're not going to hurt the JT-DB by trying it.
Chances are it will be inferior to the JT-115k for this, since the intended purpose of a 115k is a mic input. (and the price of these two is pretty similar)
However, maybe the 'inferiorities' will be cool in practice.
If the inductance is low you'll know because the bass response is weak.
I have measured the inductance of some transformers but it wouldn't be quick and simple to do this comparison.

Thanks for the reply; I have an opportunity to purchase a small lot of these at a good price. If I had an example in my possession I probably would have tested it out first. Is it worth about 50 bucks a pop used when I could get a new Lundahl 1951 for around 70?

Withouth exact winding scheme or more info about the transformer it's hard to say, but there are big chances that it will work great in the reverse arangement. Of course, you have to try and measure (see, hear) it.

I'm fairly sure it would function as such, but may not be optimal since the static winding resistance is somewhat higher than with transformers specifically designed for mic pre inputs. You could always give Jensen a call or email and ask them.

Phone: (818) 374-5857
[email protected]

I ended up just buying a few of the transformers, but haven't had time to implement them. Will report when I complete the project.

Latest posts

Back