JLM BAD Preamp Noise Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvis

So I just finished assembling the first channel of what's hopefully going to be a functioning pair of BAD preamps in the near future. Since I'm a complete newbee and this is my first real project apart from some minor modifications and guitar pedals, I expected to encounter some problems along the way - and sadly I was right.
First off, I measured the voltages on all the points that are marked in the BAD schematic and they all seem to be correct. The phantom power led is working and I can measure the phantom power on the XLR-connector as well. The pad and the phase switch seem to be working fine as well. Also the wiring from the XLR-connectors to the board seems to be correct.

The problems:

1. There seems to be a grounding issue but I can't really figure out what it stems from. I have a lot of 50hz hum as well as white noise, which gets even worse when I touch the body of a plugged in mic or the xlr connector. And it is quieter when I touch the back of my case, where the power connector and xlr connector are screwed in. I recorded a sound sample with an SM57 where you can hear me narrating over the different types of noises that thing makes  ;D : https://janniseckert.de/preamp/preamp_noise.wav Please note that the sound samples can be pretty loud so turn the volume down if you have your headphones on

Also the OEP A262A3E input transformer seems to be picking up a lot of noise when no input is connected, even though it is in a shielding can. Just moving my fingers closer to it while the unit is powered on makes a pretty significant noise and when I touch the wires to the variable z-pot, the pot itself or the frontplate, you can here a clicking noise.

2. I sometimes get weird random tones around 800 Hz and I have no idea where that could be coming from. Just RF-noise maybe? Anyway, there is a sound sample as well: https://janniseckert.de/preamp/800hz_noise.wav

3. When I engage the phantom power the preamp produces really loud low frequency oscillation that ramps up in frequency and amplitude over time, and which masks pretty much any sound coming in. In the sound sample at around 14 sec you can hear me humming into the plugged condenser mic if you want to get a feel for that nice SNR: https://janniseckert.de/preamp/condenser_48v.wav

This is the BAD schematic for reference: http://www.jlmaudio.com/Baby%20Animal%20Dual%20Mic%20Pre%20Schematic.pdf .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Jannis

The schematic shows just the preamp so I am assuming you are using a separate power supply. You problem is almost certainly because your analogue 0V on the mic pre is not connected to mains earth - that's why it gets quieter when you touch the backplane.

Cheers

Ian

Hey, thanks for the replys!
RuudNL said:
Sounds like the microphone body isn't grounded.
I don't think that the problem is the mic body itself since it also makes that noise when the xlr plug is disconnected and I touch the metal housing of the plug. I think its rather the plug making connection with the mic body so that the mic body "inherits" the problem thats already there with just the plug.

ruffrecords said:
Is this a kit you are building?

Yes, it is a kit. Well, at least the board is part of the kit, I sourced the parts myself. Nevertheless, there was a build guide that I followed.

ruffrecords said:
The schematic shows just the preamp so I am assuming you are using a separate power supply. You problem is almost certainly because your analogue 0V on the mic pre is not connected to mains earth - that's why it gets quieter when you touch the backplane.

That might very well  be the case, but I'm not sure how to remedy that situation.

Cheers
Jannis

jarvis said:
That might very well  be the case, but I'm not sure how to remedy that situation.

Cheers
Jannis

That depends on what you decide to use for the power supply. Are you gong to build it into an enclosure including the supply?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
That depends on what you decide to use for the power supply. Are you gong to build it into an enclosure including the supply?
Aw, sorry, didn't answer that before.  No, the power supply is an external one, a Meanwell GS36E48-P1J (http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GS36E).

Cheers
Jannis

jarvis said:
Aw, sorry, didn't answer that before.  No, the power supply is an external one, a Meanwell GS36E48-P1J (http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GS36E).

Cheers
Jannis
How cool... a SMPS with 240mV p-p ripple & noise for a mic preamp....

analogguru said:
How cool... a SMPS with 240mV p-p ripple & noise for a mic preamp....

Yeah, it might not be ideal, although Joe from JLM Audio said that it should be fine, since there is power filtering on the PCB. At first I also suspected the power supply to be the culprit but even when I tested just pulling it out and having the amp run on the power that is left in the capacitors for a small amount of time, the noise remained. So I don't think that it is the problem. Can't comment on the noise performance while the preamp is working properly though.

ruffrecords said:
How are you listening tp the preamp? What is it connected to?
To test I had either an SM57 or some chinese condenser mic connected to the input and the output goes into the symmetrical breakout cable of my RME HDSP 9632.

Hey, I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The problem wasn't any wiring or the power supply or anything like that - I just cheaped out and got the OPA2604 from Ebay and got scammed. I was suspicious of them when I read the technical documents to check the orientation on the board because they looked a bit different and so I went out and got new ones from a reputable local source. I just plugged them in and everything is alright! My mics all sound fantastic, no weird oscillation with phantom power or anything. And the thing is dead quiet even at full gain although the power supply is really not the best.
Sorry for wasting your time and I'm looking forward to bulding new projects.  ;)

Cheers
Jannis

jarvis said:
Hey, I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The problem wasn't any wiring or the power supply or anything like that - I just cheaped out and got the OPA2604 from Ebay and got scammed. I was suspicious of them when I read the technical documents to check the orientation on the board because they looked a bit different and so I went out and got new ones from a reputable local source. I just plugged them in and everything is alright! My mics all sound fantastic, no weird oscillation with phantom power or anything. And the thing is dead quiet even at full gain although the power supply is really not the best.
Sorry for wasting your time and I'm looking forward to bulding new projects.  ;)

Cheers
Jannis

You should report to e-bay the username of the seller who sold you the fake chips.

Latest posts

Back