Just for fun, U47 style in U87 body...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laurentj

Little experiment using a U47 style microphone (Moby BV08 $150, 3U M7 $150, Phaedrus SPIRIT U47 $300) in a U87 body. Normal U47 circuit would not fit a U87 body, but using the Spirit it is just possible..!
This is a really quick and dirty prototype (60 minutes), will be developing nice PCB board in the future. The Spirit is a Pheadrus tube running on phantom power and is technically identical to the VF14M emulation running on 105V.

If you have a very decent phantom power supply you could probably omit the 1K resistor and 10U capacitor (I did for now without obvious problems). Tested using Focusrite Liquid Channel and the UAD unison preamps.

Then you have the most basic microphone circuit possible using only 7 passive components + Spirit tube + capsule + transformer! The components even using Dale resistors and Wima/Vishay caps are only 10-15$ on Mouser, especially since you only need components rated 60+V saving space and money.

For new builds in my opinion it doesn't make sense to go the VF14 clone Phaedrus route with al the disadvantages working of having to use a power supply, just use the Spirit version.

I was so impressed by the sound compared to my other microphones (Max Kircher U67, U87 and Sphere L22 U47 emulation), the mid-forwardness and dynamics are one of a kind still. Will be recording a nice female singer soon. Using my Liquid channel I can easily add some 2nd harmonics (or using Nebula/UAD), which might be the only difference which some people observed compared to real VF14M.

The benefit of this approach that you can make all kind of hybrids, for example M7 capsule with Max U67 circuit in neutral mode (LOVING ITTTT!).

I have become U47 fan..might even go after the real thing..but oh boy $$$.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.png
    image.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I am using a cheap chinese Alibaba U87 body, fully compatible with Neumann original,
Do you have the link for that body? Even though I have ordered from Alibaba several times, I find it very hard to find what I am looking for amongst all the clutter.
The Spirit is a Pheadrus tube running on phantom power and is technically identical to the VF14M emulation running on 105V.
This sounds fun to try!

search for "Ënping Meidong Electronic Co., Ltd." "Studio Microphone U87Ai MT condenser recording microphone for studio room".
Thanks. I see that's the entire fake U87AI. I wish they just sold the body, as I don't want to support the counterfeit product.

I have a spare GT-2B body that would work, so I'll see if I can purchase a SPIRIT for it.

What value did you use for the "NF" resistor in the bottom-left of the diagram?

Not that I really want to support a counterfeit product, but does the stock mic function as a multipattern one? Might be a good donor body and circuit.

Ahh finally, a new Microphone Guru with golden ears! I think you should give school marks for the capacitors and resistors in terms of audible sound qualities. Don't forget the cable sound, that's important too! I will follow you. Let's do it like the audiophools, I'm ready.

It's only logical to offer a microphone kit based on a fake product. Because they originals are so expensive, since the company in question has to pay employees, taxes, benefits, rent, materials, research and development, warranty services for years and other unimportant things. Of course, such a company also works without the intention of profit. Therefore, I find your justification very conclusive and morally completely in order.

Let's just rip off our colleagues and thereby express our gratitude and respect to the Neumann company and the people behind it for their work over the last 70 years! Bravo!

Welkom laurentj op de nieuwe groupdiy.com. en bedankt voor je onbaatzuchtige en eervolle inzet!

Last edited:
Ahh finally, a new Microphone Guru with golden ears! I think you should give school marks for the capacitors and resistors in terms of audible sound qualities. Don't forget the cable sound, that's important too! I will follow you. Let's do it like the audiophools, I'm ready.

It's only logical to offer a microphone kit based on a fake product. Because they originals are so expensive, since the company in question has to pay employees, taxes, benefits, rent, materials, research and development, warranty services for years and other unimportant things. Of course, such a company also works without the intention of profit. Therefore, I find your justification very conclusive and morally completely in order.

Let's just rip off our colleagues and thereby express our gratitude and respect to the Neumann company and the people behind it for their work over the last 70 years! Bravo!

Welkom laurentj op de nieuwe groupdiy.com. en bedankt voor je onbaatzuchtige en eervolle inzet!

you are right, I have multiple original Neumann products which I am using with great pleasure everyday. The clone does not perform even close enough for professional use. Removed all references to it just to be clear not promoting anything.

The cn body is used as a cheap donor like all bodies used for clones. In that regard it is very good, almost 1:1. The design is decades old, generated its profit and is now common good. Time for some innovation.

I am not promoting fake products, you can also buy similar oem products without branding.

I am not promoting fake products
Then read again in your mind your now deleted references (+posts) and think about the consequences. What you do at home is your business, but this is a public forum.

The design is decades old, generated its profit and is now common good.
That's not for you to decide, but for the relevant laws.
This is not changed by the fact that you have also purchased some Neumann products in the past.

Last edited:
Then read again in your mind your now deleted references and think about the cosequences. What you do at home is your business, but this is a public forum.

That's not for you to decide, but for the relevant laws.
This is not changed by the fact that you have also purchased some Neumann products in the past.
The design is public domain after 15 years, of course without branding..

Exactly the same can be said about the standard capsule designs (M7,K47,K67,C12), which every manufacturer, also outside of China, are shamelessly copying.
Before you point the finger at others, think about your own contribution. Since when has one crime legitimized another crime?

Returning to the original idea - I'm still amazed that the M49/U67 beveled grille style hasn't become the defacto standard for all LDCs; it's clearly superior to a cylidrcal grille, yet many mics still made that way - pure marketing due to the legendary status of the U47?

Latest Neumann news of their FB page:

Some of you were right: Yes, we are reissuing the M 49. We will call it the M 49 V (as in variable).

The reissue already made experienced producers and artists literally fall out of their chairs during our field tests. Its sound is incomparable. It influences production choices even today. The M 49 has been dominating jazz, blues, and pop recordings since the 1950s for a reason. Maybe this is why we had some trouble getting the preproduction samples back.
😉

The M 49 V is 100% hand-crafted and will be extremely limited. Currently, only three people on this planet are able to assemble an M 49 V. And they are loving every moment of it.

More info coming soon!

#NeumannM49V

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back