Just got my mill

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

woo hoo!  Now I have to make some space in the shop!  This is the Smaller Harbor Freight mini-mill.  I'm excited to learn how to use it as a manual mill for a while and perhaps eventually get it set up with CNC for etching and engraving, etc.
1393193_10201969428773586_131332833_n.jpg

WOW! that's nice... I'm in order to build a CNC, trying to get some parts and maybe start to build in january (if I get them) logic and motors when you already have nice machine axis as those should be pretty stright forward.

JS

Mbira said:
I'm excited to learn how to use it as a manual mill for a while and perhaps eventually get it set up with CNC for etching and engraving, etc.

That's the route I went too. I got the Taig and I don't regret starting out manually. Getting a feel for different materials and a feel for the machine has been a a great and fun learning experience. I could see getting another Taig that is automated. A manual machine is really nice for banging out a straightforward part. I wouldn't be fast with software.

lol.  Not much to show yet.  I just got it all set up and dialed in today.  I don't have a collet yet so I used the chuck and did a few simple slots in some 1/16" aluminum channeling to use as mounting brackets for this synth I'm working on.  I LOVE that I'll be able to say goodby to hand filing rough edges!

Note of warning: keep in mind, this disease is extremely contagious! Next, you will invest hundreds of $$$ into tooling, upgrades, etc. After that, one day you decide you grew out of this mill and upgrade for a bigger and more precise and efficient one, and so on. It is never ending process!

I started with micro-mill and mini lathe, then got into mini-mill and 10x32 lathe. That followed by Clausing knee mill and Hardinge second op and chucker lathes. Right now I have two CNC Mori Seiki turning centers (8000 lbs and 12000 lbs each) and Matsuura CNC vertical center. I am already planning on live tooling machines and one day probably 5 axis... Where is the end....?

Other than that, congrats! You'll surely have lots of fun and long learning curve in front of you! Learning and feeling metal is cool!

Best, M

I upgraded my Taig Micro Mill a few weeks ago with a 1HP (750W) DC Servo motor kit. The original motor was a 1/3HP AC motor. I'm very happy with the upgrade. It allows me to drill 3/8" holes for rotary switch and potentiometer bushings. Impossible before. It also allows me to clean up edges in one or two passes instead of many. It makes this mill much more useful. Well worth the price.Taig1hp-1.JPGTaig1hp-2.JPG

Latest posts

Back