K&H UE100 from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knoticed you hadnt been around as much of late .
Very glad to see your getting stuck back into project work again .

Quite a lot to take in all at once from the schematic . I wonder is there an english translation of the 'theory of operation' of the circuits in the manual ?

Tubetec said:
Quite a lot to take in all at once from the schematic . I wonder is there an english translation of the 'theory of operation' of the circuits in the manual ?

I have original paper from the US K+H dealer. There was nothing like that. I think it’s the opposite. The schematics are drawn in an intentionally confusing way.

Actually, I'm sure it is drawn like this for the exact opposite reason of intentionally confusing:

The schematics follow not only the functional modules logic of the system, but also the mechanical way the unit comes apart for repair.

Note that identifying erroneous module for service is quite straightforward because of the modular/bypass setup.. (yes, I still keep a couple of these alive in our mastering room)

Only thing I miss from above schematics is marking of the ultra-precision, zero tempco caps

/Jakob E.

Tubetec said:
I knoticed you hadnt been around as much of late .
Paul made a great job at clearing the original schematics. Still it takes some work because of the switching.
The operation of this unit is also quite puzzling; high and low-pass filters with adjustable cut... huh?
We had two of those at Barclay studios. They were in the warehouse because no one really understood how to use them.

I have moved hence the delay.

The chassis is now complete.

Taped up to avoid swarf entering.

I had to mark all the tubes to know where I was!

The power supply is the most compact I have ever made, it took ages to design.

Best
DaveP

She's a beaut!  Nice job as per always with you.
Hi Dave, hope the move was for positive reasons.  You still in France?  Everything OK with you and your wife during these strange times?

Winston O'Boogie said:
She's a beaut!  Nice job as per always with you.

+1

Happy to see you around . Hadn't realized you updated a few months ago and was curious how you've been doing?

Your metal work has always been so fascinating . I've been trying to piece together how you do it but haven't been able  to understand it yet. Wish I had some metal shop in school. We had a wood working shop but I barely remember it. Mr. House was the teacher I do remember...ha

Take care and thanks!

Hi Dave, hope the move was for positive reasons.  You still in France?  Everything OK with you and your wife during these strange times?
The short answer is no.  I have been living with an unfaithful wife since we came to France for a fresh start.  Finally had enough and left her.  For the last 6 months I have been living with someone I can trust, my kids said I should have done it years ago, they have been great.

Best
DaveP

sounds rough but you're headed in the right direction. 
we really value your contributions here
we've had some heavy hitters leave lately: good to hear you are still with us. 

You have always been one of the most positive guys on the forum and I value your support very highly.

Best
DaveP

Oh man, that's rough.  I'm really sorry to learn you've been dealing with that.

I'm glad you've taken yourself out of the situation and you're now living in a healthier environment with your kids for support. 

Onwards and upwards Dave

This is the state of play at the moment

Next job is to fit the 38 switches to the front panel and connect all those screened leads!

Best
DaveP

This is incredible. The metalwork is really nice. I'm curious, how do you do the open-ended cutouts in the rack ears? They look really clean but maybe also done by hand?

First of all you measure as accurately as possible where to drill the 1/4" holes.  I drill a pilot hole first with a 2mm drill, if it goes off centre you can try to push a larger diameter to correct it.  Then you drill the 1/4" holes.  I mark the slots to the edge of the holes then very carefully use a metal jigsaw inside the lines.  Finally I finish off with a file by hand.

Best
DaveP

Latest posts

Back