K47 fet capsule for figure 8?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitopower

I have a Neumann k47 fet capsule, which I have read is a k47 whose front and back don't match to an acceptable level. There is no wire lead coming off the metal crimp / eyelet that is held into the back capsule by a screw. I would like to be able to use my DIY U47 in figure 8, to record vocal without the acoustic guitar bleed I get in cardiod.

1. If I were to attach a lead and setup figure 8 with a u48 mod, would the degree of rejection still be significant compared to cardiod (this being a NON-MATCHED front to back capsule), and suitable for this application?

2. What is the best way to attach a lead?

Thank you!

Last edited:
To me, vocal and acoustic guitar have always been one of the most difficult thing to record.
Probably because when you record such setup, it's often use as is, without lot of other things around that may help to hide inherent technical issues in a mix, like bleed, but more problematic cross bleed with the two(or more) mic setup, with all phase/comb issue with -two sources, two target- setup in all close distance, especially if the musician move which is unavoidable.

Fig 8 help a lot but you won't get the bleed totally cut, so to me the question is how to make the bleed as nice as possible.
So far the best result I get is with blumlein use in the vertical plan (flipped 90°), keep phase nice with -coincident- capsules whatever mic balance you need at mix.

If you use a fig 8 for vocal, and another cardio for guitar the problem will only be half solved.
If you expect a single 8 on vocal and pretend to make the guitar disappear at mix (like it was a temporary conductor element) it wont work.

For question n°2 the best way is to solder the lead to eyelet, you need to remove it for that with all precaution due to this kind of work !

Cheers
Zam

I have a Neumann k47 fet capsule, which I have read is a k47 whose front and back don't match to an acceptable level. There is no wire lead coming off the metal crimp / eyelet that is held into the back capsule by a screw. I would like to be able to use my DIY U47 in figure 8, to record vocal without the acoustic guitar bleed I get in cardiod.

1. If I were to attach a lead and setup figure 8 with a u48 mod, would the degree of rejection still be significant compared to cardiod, and suitable for this application?

2. What is the best way to attach a lead?

Thank you!
Rejection will depend a lot on placement and acoustics of the space. I tried to explain in a thread "why you should never use multipattern mic" cons of pattern forming with these capsules.

I can guarantee you, k47 capsule in F8 will sound nothing like in cardioid. It will get huge upper midrange bump, and get very sibilant.

I would try with a f8 ribbon, or re-arrange placement with existing cardioid so that it picks up least bleed.

Who cares about a little bleed though? Can be really nice. Have you checked out the Sound Radix plugin Auto-Align 2? It honestly does timing & phase alignment of multi-mic-ed sources better than I can do by hand. Worth every penny. Bleed mattering is a thing of the past to me now that I have Auto-Align 2. It is made by Soundradix. No affiliation, I paid full price for me copy. Hope you find if useful. They have a free demo.

Back