k87 three or four wires?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmod

Eh gang,

I found a company called JLI that sell a TSC-2 capsule made by Transound.

I have a couple of questions,

The first is that its made of copper and not brass.........is this something to be concerned about?

Also, it only has three wires // Two from both center fed screw on both sides and only one backplate wire on one of the backplates.
My circuit is like the Dani boards where by I need to have two backplate wires to the pcb.

I spoke with Brad the owner and he told me that the plates are electrically isolated so if this is the case, should I not be able to add a fourth wire to one of the free holes on the plate that does not have the wire?

Last edited:
Eh gang,

I found a company called JLI that sell a TSC-2 capsule made by Transound.

I have a couple of questions,

The first is that its made of copper and not brass.........is this something to be concerned about?

Also, it only has three wires // Two from both center fed screw on both sides and only one backplate wire on one of the backplates.
My circuit is like the Dani boards where by I need to have two backplate wires to the pcb.

I spoke with Brad the owner and he told me that the plates are electrically isolated so if this is the case, should I not be able to add a third wire to one of the free holes on the plate that does not have the wire?
I can't imagine you need to worry about it being copper. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc anyway.

If they only gave you three wires, I'd assume that's all you need. I don't think there'd be an issue with adding a fourth but I doubt it's necessary.

Just checked the advertisement and datasheet: I find no proof that the backplates are isolated.
You need isolated backplates if you want to recreate the U87i circuit.
(For a U87ai you can use a capsule with a single backplate.)

And if a China based manufacturer speaks about 'copper', they probably mean 'brass'.

Last edited:
I just received an email from the owner Brad at JLI. He told me that the plates are isolated.
Of course I can check this with continuity on my meter. That is a fast and easy way of checking.

Back