Kay Model 703

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildafriend

Hey all,

I have a Kay Model 703 here that a customer wants to throw some money at. Fun little guitar amp.. Just throwing up some pics and looking to hear any input.

Seems like there is a "death cap" mod that needs to be done.  It uses a lesser common set of tubes

18GD6A
60FX5
36AM3

Not really much in here. Making a mouser cart now for some new caps.

Any fun ideas? The customer is open minded for ways it can be hot rodded.  As of now I'm only recapping, cleaning, changing tubes.. etc.

You'll want to add a 1:1 isolation transformer and a three prong plug.
As is, the ground / chassis is connected to one side of the wall power.

dmp said:
You'll want to add a 1:1 isolation transformer and a three prong plug.
As is, the ground / chassis is connected to one side of the wall power.

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for info on doing that..doesnt sound like a healthy idea to leave it the way it is

putting the iso xfmr on the chassis will make it top heavy, we bolted ours to a plate of wood which got screwed to the bottom of he amp, from which we ran wires into a strain releef etc.

crap, what about the fuse, must go on pri, make bracket for holder, mount to wood plate,

no wait, somebody sticks their hand in behind the fuse their meat.

go down and back with fuse on chassis>

Attachments

• amp.png
    amp.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 8
CJ said:
putting the iso xfmr on the chassis will make it top heavy, we bolted ours to a plate of wood which got screwed to the bottom of he amp, from which we ran wires into a strain releef etc.

crap, what about the fuse, must go on pri, make bracket for holder, mount to wood plate,

no wait, somebody sticks their hand in behind the fuse their meat.

go down and back with fuse on chassis>

I ordered an inline fuse holder -
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/01500332H/F6775-ND/3425489

Mounting the iso on the bottom sounds like a smart idea. I have some chunks of MDF that should work  8)

Back