KiCAD "sub PCB's?"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJames

I tried a few different searches on the web and just kept finding page after page after page of "here's how you create a PCB in KiCAD"

What I want to know is, is there a specific way in KiCAD to denote a portion of a schematic to exist on its own PCB? For example, a 500 series EQ where you have two boards that connect together with half the controls on one PCB and half on the other. Collectively, I would imagine you would draw it out all as one schematic, and then somehow break it out across a couple of PCB's.

Alternatively, I guess you could make a "base" PCB schematic, then a "daughterboard" schematic and lay them out separately.

I'm just wondering if there's a specific or "proper" way to do this in KiCAD.

I've been in the same quest as you are but it seems that Kicad will not allow that.

What i do is i make one kicad project for each pcb and put them in a git repository. Therefore i can keep track of evolutions between each project.

Imo, this is the biggest drawback of kicad.

So I'm not just missing it afterall eh? Initially I was thinking there was maybe some feature or option withing in hierarchical sheets...But I couldn't find anything.

I've been in the same quest as you are but it seems that Kicad will not allow that.

What i do is i make one kicad project for each pcb and put them in a git repository. Therefore i can keep track of evolutions between each project.

Imo, this is the biggest drawback of kicad.

That was always how the high cost Mentor Graphics and Cadence schematic and layout packages worked as well, so it is not just a limitation of Kicad. Historically a schematic was tied to one PCB layout, and if you had multiple PCB's you had multiple schematic projects. The projects I worked on always used "flat" schematics, perhaps the hierarchical schematic arrangement might have a way to distinguish that parts of the project were on a separate PCB, but I do not know.

Latest posts

Back