kind of blue the session tapes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the first engineers I ever worked with told me when he started the studio he was working for at the time was a 3track studio. When he asked the owner about getting a 4 track he was told if you can’t record it in 3, it can’t be done.

Apparently 3 track was originally created for the movie business. One track  dialogue, one track music and one track effects.

Cheers

Ian

Those high end 50's recordings by Sinatra and other jazz/blues greats I'm not sure were ever bettered to my ears .
Its big chunky transformer cores ,ribbon mics ,and a good dose of tape saturation which adds a nice punch  on the peaks.

Davis's honks and hoots have an elephantine quality sometimes , brass and orchestra hits back then seemed to have so much more bite and attack .

I found Davis's 'On the corner' extended sessions on flac, its one of my bench marks for drums and percussion .

I posted a while back about the Roberts 770 tube tape recorder I picked up for $40.00 a few months ago...I actually bought another tape machine that was needing repair because it came with a box of reel to reel tapes...old stuff...one tape of nothing but sound effects...Ringling Barnum Bailey reel included...several Ray Charles tapes...about 15 reels (with recorder another $40.00)...

There is just something about those tubes and transformers and the tape...granted the speakers are sub-par...it does have phono line outs...once I get rid of the hum...but even with a little hum its on another plane of pleasant...

I have state of the art A/D converters from Apogee to Prism, but between the vinyl and the tape its a different world.

Back