Kk84 capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone know where to get kk84 capsules? These are the ones used in the km-84’s. I can find them from neumann but they are often a complete drop in for the km84’s and 184’s.
They are also used in mics like the km86. It has the same capsules but not wit the threaded grill and pin setup as found on a km84.

I don’t specifically need the kk84 this time as it’s for a project and not a repair but wondering where I can find raw sdc capsules.

I was never able to find a good KK84 aftermarket or clone capsule.
The ones used in KM84 DIY projects and clones are not similar to the KK84 and don't get the same performance and frequency response.
There's even an awful one being offerd in a DIY project in this forum.

Maybe Kingkorg knows something as he is very knowledgeable on the different capsules available.

It would be great to know if there's a good KK84 or even a good SDC capsule outside Neumann and Schoeps and the like...

Well I would like to diy a 256 circuit but avoid the ac701 in favor of a 5840 or the like.
I do know the guys at mojave and Royer. Might have to whisper in their ear🤔

I'm sorry Pucho, what is a 256, AC701 and 5840?

Thanks
Neumann made the km54, km56 which are the tube predecessors to the km84 and km86 solid state mics. At the same time they also made a km256 which was a lower noise km56 that was mainly for broadcast iirc. Anyway it uses an elusive ac701 tube that is a subminiature and real expensive if you find one. Guys like Dave royer have used a 5840 which is also a subminiature tube as a very inexpensive substitute tube due to the cost of an ac701 tube

Factory new KK84 and KK83 capsules are still readily available from Neumann. I bought a new pair only a couple of years ago

Factory new KK84 and KK83 capsules are still readily available from Neumann. I bought a new pair only a couple of years ago

“readily available” might be a bit strong in 2021.

depending on how long ago was “a couple of years ago,” things have definitely changed.

For the past little while now, Sennheiser/Neumann have ceased supplying replacement parts, except to their authorized repair facilities.

Even then, the serial and model numbers of the mic needing repair must be provided.

Bad for DIY, but even worse for right-to-repair of your own Neumann microphones

Dealing through dealers or distributors is a common practice today in the industry (that is what we used to do at Darkglass and many other companies do the same). I was trying to get some parts to repair a couple of Beyer ribbon mics. After several emails I was forwarded to the distribuitor in Finland. They did the order for me and I got the parts. It is a route to try.

I also got mic repair parts through the dealers, Beyer Dynamic, AKG, Electro Voice, SE Electronics and Line 6. Had no problems in getting the parts ordering them through the dealers.

But if Neumann only supplies parts to the "Authorized Repair Centers" and not through the dealers thats a different thing, it means that they have to be the ones to repair the mics, which might not be what we want. I normally want to repair myself

Back