LA-2A finished!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nele

Hi Folks,

Finally finished my LA-2A. It was a beast to build but it was worth it. I thought I was smart by using a small platform inside the case to mount the tubes and transformers....
I was wrong! Should have just made the holes in the back. This turned out to be a pain in the ass.
Each time I flipped the platform one or two solid wires decided to break.. ouch!
But I finally got it to work and it sounds mighty fine. Now I need to tidy up some things, shrink some tubing and put it to work!

Some info:
- Transformers are A10 (grey) and A24 (black)
- Powertransformer is custom from ae-europe
- meter is a sifam
- t4b is from the jbl garagesale a while back
- knobs are from a member
- caps, and alpha-pots are from banzai
- wiring is normal hookup-wire, cat5 wire, and solid-core cotton-coated
- case is from robeshop

Many thanks to Cayacosta for the layout and all you other folks who contributed to the LA-2A thread!!!

:sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam:
Corneel

click pix for larger versions

Thanks for your comments!
[quote author="Greg"]Have you noticed any hum in the unit from mounting the power tranny inside the chassis?[/quote]
No, the transformer is pretty quiet. The only thing that is very critical is the placement of the wires near the frontpanel (for the meter, switches and pots). A few mm really makes a huge difference. I've also noticed it's a bit more hum-sensitive in limit-mode.
Probably the most important is correct grounding. I ended up using solid copper wire for ground connections.

I actually sourced most of the noise and hum down to the bare 12BH7A. Shielding it with a can solved the problem! Only thing is the shielding can gets very hot. I guess this is not good?

cheers,c

Hello,
Congrats for the job you did, I know it takes a lot of time and thinking for such a project...
I built two LA2A based on BLOO kits for a friend of mine, and it was a VERY long process...
I am thinking about building one for me from scratch now :!:
I also bought one Opto from JBL when they sold their stock :grin:
I am much interested to know the ref. and prices for your AE-Europe mains transformer, and also the chassis ref and price from Robeshop.
Thanks for your help
Best,
Guy

Hi Guy,

The transformer was pretty cheap, especially as it was custom built. It cost 35 euro's ex. VAT and shipping and should be available from AE-Europe as partnumber 28465. The 500V (2 x 250V) output is 60mA, I guess this isn't a problem but the original was 40mA.

The case was also relatively cheap, but good quality:

ST317 case
FR33G panel

Hope this helps.

Salut,
Corneel

Latest posts

Back