LA-4 Help Thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

Ok, thank you!!

I was thinking to add a below/above threshold indicator circuit i will build, as from the THAT corp design note DN132. I think a good point to connect such circuit would the output of IC5b. pin7.

Jay x

Nice to see there is still a little action on this project from time to time. It was my first build, and so the LA4 holds a special place in my heart.

If anyone needs the docs I have them somewhere.

Regarding the Vactrols, it does suck that the supposed replacements don’t come close. I have a VTL5C4/2 in one of my channels, but it won’t adjust to give different ratios. I was hoping to grab a couple more to see if they will work better, but I think I’ll try the NSL-6910 option instead

Edit: Here a link to the docs. Let me know if there are any issues downloading them
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wySIYiBNXEwFG_VA3fnQx5r3V3KrtWl5?usp=share_link

Last edited:
I finished my La4 13 years ago using Vactec VTL5C4/2.

I had no problems calibrating ratios, but the attack is med to slow and the release is so slow - not very useable, so i ended up not using my la4 as much as would like to.

Does anyone came with a conclusion for an ideal opto solution?

I also found some Clairex CLM 6000 here on my parts stock, any experice with those?

I am planning to finish a "stereo" (two) LA4 that has been "in the drawer" for a long time . I downloaded a "Front Panel Designer" file many years ago which is called "Front_Parametal_1U_LA4.fpd". Does anybody know which meter this panel is designed for? The pcb is the "Levelling Amplifier IV, Rev. 1.0 Project by Torben Lysholm and Rasmus Fris". In the part list AL-29 is specified but I dont think this front panel is for AL-29?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde (7).png
    Skjermbilde (7).png
    580.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I Pm'd you with all my docs... I ve collected about the build I ve done about 2.5 years ago all infos I could find. NSL32 are a nice substitution, but not like real Vactrols....

Attachments

• PXL_20201224_100906657~2.jpg
    PXL_20201224_100906657~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20210112_205401955.jpg
    PXL_20210112_205401955.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back