LA2A voltage issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circuitfreak

My first post in GDIY. I built an LA2a p2p-I have a problem on V4, (6AQ5a), pin 5-voltage chart suggests I should read 100VDC there, I am getting 197VDC. I do not know enough to know if this can be damaging, but it does seem like it could be an issue. All of my other voltage points read higher than the chart lays out, but this spot is the only spot that exceeds 30% higher...can anyone tell me if this is cause for concern? I've attached a copy of the voltage chart with my readings to the far right...

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Voltage readings la2a 10.16.20.pdf
    567.8 KB · Views: 25
Your B+ voltage (@ C7B) is too high. Is R29 the correct value (4.7k 2W) and are you sure it's wired to the rest of the circuit correctly?

What are you measuring after the rectifier (diodes CR1 and  CR2)?

I would start there and scrutinize that particular area of the circuit.

Attachments

• C7B.png
    C7B.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for responding. To answer you questions, R29 is correct value, and I've twice checked my wiring against the schematic, and as far I I can tell, it is wired correctly.

CR1 and 2 are reading 380VDC on the cathode end, and 284VAC on the anode end.

My schematic, attached reflects using 1N3196 diodes, and your attachments reflect 1N4007.

I am not a pro at this, do I need to change mine out?

Attachments

• LA2A Schem.jpg
    LA2A Schem.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 16
May or may not be of any help but I recall having a similar issue in my very first LA2A years ago and mine related to the fact that there are 470, 470k, 47k, and 4.7k resistors in this build and it's possible to get them mixed up if you're not paying close attention.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the initial measurement for C7B was 370V (first post) and now you're measuring 298V? It still seems a bit high.

What power transformer are you using? Is the compressor working?

Back