Lafayette CR Analyzer.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I've been looking around for a cap analyser for sometime mainly looking at heathkit but not been able to find anything that wasn't expensive and needing a complete rebuild. Anyhow I just got this Lafayette TE 46 CR Analyzer. I can't believe the condition for the age. It's like it is brand new in the original box the leather carrying handle shows no sins of wear and internally it is spotless. I specifically wanted one that would do high voltage leakage tests. It has the added function of being able to determine transformer ratios..

Attachments

• 20240710_212450.jpg
    20240710_212450.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • 20240710_212548.jpg
    20240710_212548.jpg
    1.1 MB
I've got one that wasn't in anywhere near as good condition. I gave it a clean and replaced a bunch of leaky and out of spec components and it works well now. Main issue is that the cap testing voltages aren't regulated and are significantly higher than marked at standard wall voltages here in Australia. I run it off a variac for predictability. Even in great physical condition I'd be replacing electrolytics and checking old resistors for drift.

I've got one that wasn't in anywhere near as good condition. I gave it a clean and replaced a bunch of leaky and out of spec components and it works well now. Main issue is that the cap testing voltages aren't regulated and are significantly higher than marked at standard wall voltages here in Australia. I run it off a variac for predictability. Even in great physical condition I'd be replacing electrolytics and checking old resistors for drift.
A few questions.

Did you mod yours to have a safety Earth ?

Is it possible you could take a pic of the connections to the mains transformer. I'm not sure if mine is wired for 117v or 230v & am a bit concerned to plug it in because it has a U.S style mains plug ?

I tested the caps with an ESR meter & they check ok. Although I bought the Lafayette to check leakage on H.V caps so can't really test them how I'd liked. I plan on testing all the resistors etc anyway.

Yes, I added a safety earth and fusing to mine to bring it closer to modern safety standards. It's packed away at the moment so can't take a photo, but you should be able to determine the mains voltage windings by checking the resistance, 240v will be the highest taps.

I specifically wanted one that would do high voltage leakage tests. It has the added function of being able to determine transformer ratios..
(y) These are functions that I could also use very well, unfortunately they are not so common on similar devices that my quick web search found.

(y) These are functions that I could also use very well, unfortunately they are not so common on similar devices that my quick web search found.
That's why I was looking at the heathkit LCR bridges. It's easy to get a basic capacitance bridge, but in todays world quite a basic digital meter will give you the capacitance value, it's the leakage functions at working voltage etc that are useful.

it's the leakage functions at working voltage etc that are useful.
Definitely, the normal component testers show important things but they say nothing about whether, for example, your NOS MP capacitor for your vintage mic will hold tight under real conditions. Without such an analyzer, this can be an expensive experiment.

Latest posts

Back