Lanois-Beato Interview

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodderboy

GDIY Supporter
Lanois-Beato Interview
Pure gold, save it to your HD, print it on 16mm, 8mm, metal etchings of each frame.
"Yeah, we did some stuff, discovered a little thing." paraphrase his 80's work with Brian Eno.
So many great interviews/documentaries of him over the years.
I was brought there by the post here of DL playing for Gordon Lightfoot. Had me listening to the DL back catalog more than usual, watching interviews/docs and this happened.
Mike

Lanois may not be the most technical guy but he does make some great records
+1... I got to work with him when voicing the EQ for the big AMR recording consoles (last century). He and Hartley got along famously like two guitar players describing tone to each other with terms like "balls", etc. 🤔 . This would be amusing except that I had to translate that into guidance for fine tweaking my console strip EQ.:rolleyes:

I knew that my EQ design was already solid, a Wein bridge topology so very low noise and low distortion. I modified a strip for Daniel to check out in his personal studio. For him I extended the low mid sweep down one whole octave lower for better control within the low bass range. Apparently that worked because he blessed it.

I didn't say anything to him about it at the time, but during the initial listening evaluation in Meridian he was wearing a big floppy hat that drooped down around his ears altering his local sound field (pinnae transforms, etc).

It doesn't matter how he accomplishes his results, his track record speaks for itself. Apparently he makes artists comfortable and gets good performances out of them. I'm sure it's a lot more than just that.

JR

+1... I got to work with him when voicing the EQ for the big AMR recording consoles (last century). He and Hartley got along famously like two guitar players describing tone to each other with terms like "balls", etc. 🤔 . This would be amusing except that I had to translate that into guidance for fine tweaking my console strip EQ.:rolleyes:

I knew that my EQ design was already solid, a Wein bridge topology so very low noise and low distortion. I modified a strip for Daniel to check out in his personal studio. For him I extended the low mid sweep down one whole octave lower for better control within the low bass range. Apparently that worked because he blessed it.

I didn't say anything to him about it at the time, but during the initial listening evaluation in Meridian he was wearing a big floppy hat that drooped down around his ears altering his local sound field (pinnae transforms, etc).

It doesn't matter how he accomplishes his results, his track record speaks for itself. Apparently he makes artists comfortable and gets good performances out of them. I'm sure it's a lot more than just that.

JR
I have had honor, the duty, the pleasure of being in the studio with him on several occasions and recorded him once as the artist daniel lanois. Definitely one for the highlight reel

Latest posts

Back