Laser Engraving For Front Panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A $200 Amazon laser engraver will engrave anodized or painted aluminum and powder coated/painted steel.

One of the Linux magazines I read has an article about the Flux Beamo. 30W CO2 laser. Not cheap be very compact and compatible with all operating systems. Too small to do 19 inch front panels but plenty big enough for mixer front panels and perhaps prototype PCBs.

FLUX Beamo

Cheers

Ian

It would be great to post some examples to get a feel for what the different type of lasers can do.
Check out the link i posted earlier, hobby laser something... the guy does a pretty good job testing various machines and showing the output on different mediums (anodized aluminum, wood, acrylic).

My "beater" machine (a 2014 mac mini for $100usd) arrived this weekend that i plan on putting the light burn software on to properly test the laser. Probably have a demo video later this week. initial tests using some gcode demo files were "okay" at best. I think i may need to tweak some tensions and nuts/bolts to get a steadier print, the motors throw some torque around.

the silver one is done with my 50W CO2 laser too

Do I understand correctly that you put the tape on the panel, and where the laser marks the side which is stuck to the panel turns black and separates from the rest of the backing, so when you peel it off it looks a little like laser printer toner has been baked onto the panel?

Anodized aluminium always gets white with CO2 lasers, independent of the anodized color.
With the tape (or spray etc) it gets black instead, yes.
I don't do the silver ones anymore, since the tape is very expensive, and it gets old fast.
(I can't peel off my three years old tape without scratching it (and the front panel) anymore)

Back