LDC capsule anatomy - specs and source for parts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

I've searched here, but part of the problem may be that I simply don't know the right terms for these things. I hoping to know typical size specifications, names, and recommendations of manufacturers or good ole Mouser part numbers for the parts coming off of a typical LDC capsule, ideally US seller.

namely:

the solder ring / wire crimp tab or whatever the metal piece that does strain relief, solder and connection around center termination of capsule. this seems most elusive part, have checked mouser, mcmaster-carr, DK...

wires - typical awg? recommendations for good rejection of the noise in the high impedance area, but also flexible and light enough to not be microphonic or otherwise problematic?

screws/nuts appear to be 1.6mm, right?

since a pic is worth a thousand words:

Attachments

• heiserman-hk47-microphone-capsule.jpg
    heiserman-hk47-microphone-capsule.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah, it's the center termination I'm most interested in, and I thought most capsule wire was more like 32awg, not 26 (upper limit). Still, this is very helpful, and I'll investigate to see if TE offers any similar smaller versions this weekend. Thank you for the link. It's weird what does / doesn't get responses around here. I also had tried searching with various keywords, but nada. You've only 36 posts, so surely I can find your thread as well. I'll update this thread just to help anyone that comes after me. Again, thanks!

Very recently I discovered Heiserman offers a capsule wire / terminal. I've no problem buying from them, but would really like to find the individual components so as to not be constrained/dependent on a single source if at all possible. To boot, my impression is they are super busy with their operation as-is, we'll see.

I've used PTFE silver plated copper wire in mic builds. Very high quality. I have 26 awg, which is fine but thicker than the capsule wires I have lying around here. Measured with a caliper the capsule wires on a few here are about 0.01", which is ~30 awg. I've ordered from Apex Jr. you could check if they have ~30 awg

only this past year did I discover how nice PTFE coated wire is, and i've since ordered it all from steve! however, while i haven't ordered thinner than 24awg, i got the impression that ptfe would not be a good choice, even at 30awg, because of the plastic's rigidity in comparison to more flexible types of material. the concern being the stiffer, the greater the chance to pass on structure-borne vibration. i take it you haven't found that to be an issue in your builds?

to be frank, i can't figure out if the noise i'm hearing in my first mic build in many many years is due to running the capsule wire near a fet, the hi-z section having unknown to naked eye contaminants, using too much solder in the floating z areas, etc. etc. maybe i'll post a pic over in 47FET and see if anyone sees anything glaringly obvious.

separately,
seems i can find a couple of solder rings with stud size #1 that should fit M1.6 screws if i'm reading charts correctly, but thinnest wire they accept is 26awg, and still without the nice mechanical strain relief crimps shown in first post above.

Latest posts

Back