Led bulb replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott2000

Having trouble wrapping my head around what options there are for finding a replacement bulb.

A G80 4W (4.5v) with an E26 base.

It's for a lantern which has a hanging fixture that uses 3 AAA batteries, like a flashlight, so 4.5Vdc and it has an E26 base. I'm ok with maybe a different shape.

I found one site where I could order 10 but it seems a bit sketchy and put together by AI in some ways but idk....

I was thinking about those solar led bistro/string light bulbs because I believe they just have rechargeable battery packs and probably put out a small voltage but not sure what voltage those bulbs run at and the pitfalls of being over or under their rating.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Calling the company and various light bulb specialty places around town hasn't been helpful and neither has my searches or brain power..

Attachments

• Bori Led.png
    Bori Led.png
    155 KB · Views: 0
This may be more work than you'd like, but how about removing the glass bulb and wiring in a white LED,

There are 4.5v screw base LED bulbs but using an e10 base...
61VXIZUJI9L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg
51mDDGLvXZL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

cheap stuff like this often comes in single digit bundles...

JR

Thanks.
Not out of the question yet.

I can get a string of solar bistro lights with the E26 base from Hazard Fraught for $40. Wondering if using the bulbs will work but it's unclear what they are rated. These aren't my lanterns so, if any experiments work, it won't be my money spent. Unless the experiment doesn't work.
On one of the lantern's battery packs, the negative terminals were burnt looking . Not corrosion. Not sure why one would be that way and not the other. It's too bad she threw the bulbs out. Would be curious what they were. And to know why seldom used led bulbs would quit working...

Last edited:
There lots of 120V E26 base LED lamps but I didn't see any 4.5V.
==
Could still be corrosion or oxidation adding resistance in series with the contact that generates extra heat, while I expect a modest current flow. I have seen strange colored corrosion with some cheap (steel?) wiring.

with the old bulb you could DIY a new lamp inside the old bulb base.

JR

Attachments

• 3v led.png
    3v led.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 0
can you convert the fixture to 3V by using only 2 batteries?

JR
Hmmm...

Guess I need to read up on how to do that.... . That sounds like a good idea. It's just a regular battery pack like you find in flashlights but with a bit different contact points I'm used to seeing.... positive spring contact is in the center with 3 negative spring contacts around it. Switch on the other end....works same though obviously....

Attachments

• IMG20221001131104.jpg
    IMG20221001131104.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221001131112.jpg
    IMG20221001131112.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back