• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Level Lock 500 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
100DP1T1B4M7RE
100SP3T1B4M7QE

these are the switches I used, they are not often available, but most right-angled dpdt and spdt switches should do the job.
the footprint for an LL1528 transformer (or LL1935 in reverse) was put there in case people would like to use a low impedance input compared to the 50kOhm of the ina134. I'm sure you could wire in an original Shure microphone input transformer.

Thanks guys for the nice replies!!
I try to help everyone with building their level locks! So a couple of pointers…

- Don’t forget to jumper (jumper or wire)
UB-send to UB-send1
UB-in to UB-in2
UB-ret to UB-ret2
UB-out to UB-out2
These are points for switching/testing purposes. If you look at the schematics you’ll see that you could take the blend option out of the schematics.

- THAT chips are far more superior to original INA134/DRV134 chips.

- If you are using anything else then the original transistors be sure to have a look at the orientation and pinouts, i know for a fact that if you use BC550C’s they need to go in reverse oposed to the silkscreen footprints!!

- Be sure to check my ‘errata’ pictures because I messed up on two tiny places on the silkscreen!!
The names R11 and R2 did not get neatly placed, so they appear to be in each orthers footprint.
The names R42 and R43 did get neatly placed but got be switched around.

Found some toggle switches on eBay from the same seller in China that will likely fit the footprint: SPDT and DPDT - measurements aren't great but are prob close enough? I found DPDT on-off-on and SPDT on-off-on from Farnell in the UK which look like they fit, and JLM in Australia has the on-off-on dpdt,

Haven't dug into Mouser or Digikey yet to see if there are any sources in the USA but found a drop in DPDT on-off-on from Newark here with the same footprint as 100DP1T1B4M7RE. Personally, I have tons of solder lug mini toggles like this so I'll probably just run wire leads from the pads.

Last edited:
Completed mine.
Is normal having a lot of hiss/noise with mix control at 100%?
I measured about -65dBu of noise with mix at 100% and input gain at "on".
Changes a little putting input gain at max.
I used ina134/drv134. Transistors listed on BOM.
Everything works as it should but there's this hiss/noise above 10khz.

Another thing I noticed is that is difficult to make an A/B before and after this processor because level is always lower compared to dry signal (is possible to compensate this with mix knob adding more dry signal to compressed) but I'm wondering if there's something strange in my build or this project works in this way.
When I put in bypass sounds always louder until I reach 9 o'clock on mix control (but at this point I'm listening the same uncompressed signal passing through the processor).
It's usable in tracking in my opinion but it's difficult to integrate in mixing due to this hiss and this discrepancy in levels.
I only have to know if this is normal or not.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_155518187_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210916_155518187_HDR.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 49
While I love the discussion, I'm wondering whether or not we should move this to the dynamics section. I know the original version had its own thread. We could either use that one or make a new one for Elianis boards.

While I love the discussion, I'm wondering whether or not we should move this to the dynamics section. I know the original version had its own thread. We could either use that one or make a new one for Elianis boards.

Yes this is a black market thread, it's for sale purposes, you will get more people involved in helping the project build if you do it in the proper section/thread

I understand this is black market thread but I sent a private message to Eliani then I post this here.
I repost this question here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/500-series-level-loc-project.54964/page-10
Old thread about same project.
I only need that someone who already built this give me a feedback about the sound.
Eliani did a new layout and sold boards.
I posted here to understand if its layout is ok , is my build that has problems or the project is not so well thought.

Completed mine.
Is normal having a lot of hiss/noise with mix control at 100%?
I measured about -65dBu of noise with mix at 100% and input gain at "on".
Changes a little putting input gain at max.
I used ina134/drv134. Transistors listed on BOM.
Everything works as it should but there's this hiss/noise above 10khz.

Another thing I noticed is that is difficult to make an A/B before and after this processor because level is always lower compared to dry signal (is possible to compensate this with mix knob adding more dry signal to compressed) but I'm wondering if there's something strange in my build or this project works in this way.
When I put in bypass sounds always louder until I reach 9 o'clock on mix control (but at this point I'm listening the same uncompressed signal passing through the processor).
It's usable in tracking in my opinion but it's difficult to integrate in mixing due to this hiss and this discrepancy in levels.
I only have to know if this is normal or not.

Thanks for reading
Hi,
I just came across this.

I have two of those, built by Eliani.
I noticed that in bypass the output level was 6dB hotter than the input level, so I swapped the INA134 at the input for a Thatcorp 1246 (pin-compatible but does -6dB).
After this, the gain structure is correct.

My two units do not have excessive hi freq hiss. Obviously the THD+N goes way up in normal operation since those do apply 60dB of voltage gain; remember it's been designed as a microphone mixer.

Looking at a full spectrum FFT, the noise floor is evenly spread out (no excessive noise at higher frequencies.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Rogy

Hi, does anyone have the schematic and layout for this project? I have a board I want to populate but I only have the V1.13 layout
Manu

Hi Manu,

isn't that all you need? AFAIK the schematic didn't changed.
Yves sent me the attached files with my pcbs. Basically the same info he wrote down in post #29.

Dennis

Attachments

• ERRATA 01.jpg
    ERRATA 01.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ERRATA 02.jpg
    ERRATA 02.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 BOM.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 COPPER.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 8
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 LAYOUT B&W.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 9
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 LAYOUT COLOUR.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 10
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 SCHEMATIC.pdf
    62.3 KB · Views: 12
  • LVL_LOK-500 v1.13 SWITCH WIRING.pdf
    322.6 KB · Views: 7
THanks ! I just saw your message and had already traced the first errata but didn't notice the second one ! Ill make sure to follow everything written here !

- Don’t forget to jumper (jumper or wire)
UB-send to UB-send1
UB-in to UB-in2
UB-ret to UB-ret2
UB-out to UB-out2
These are points for switching/testing purposes. If you look at the schematics you’ll see that you could take the blend option out of the schematics

I just did it like that. Mine are working, although they're currently not in use, because of the missing frontpanels :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back